Nice 1909-o Barber Dime, and a Merc to boot....

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Corinth, Illinois It aint on the map! Southern
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/sunray probe, Excelerator EQ2 coil
Did a little hunting this afternoon, and managed to pick up a nice 1909-o Barber dime. Full liberty, the band is distinct, and great details on the back , id give a vf. With the dry ground i almost missed it, sounded broken. About 20 min later picked up a 1942 merc and a 1925 buffalo, that i nicked with my digger.. ooops... Makes silver #129, and 130 for the year....

Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
nazi ring

hi all my friend found this ring yesterday at a farm field. any info? the very front of the ring is a arrow and there is a swastica on both sides. and i do know that that symbol once ment good luck but i think it was shaped a little different. thanx. willy

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Time Out With the Dual Field

Well, I had promised to report my first field exercise with the White's Dual Field PI, and here it is. Total hunting time was only about four hours.

First, I have no regrets. This Dual Field is a metal detector in the truest sense of the word. If its metal, it'll find it. Period! And at pretty impressive depths too.

My two shots below are my junk shot, which for some reason I always feel compelled to show (there wasn't enough found on this trip for a "bucket shot") and my very limited goodies.

There was an air show at Cocoa Beach this past weekend, so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to head out there and test my luck. I wasn't the only detectorist with this thought either. ;D More on those nice folks in a moment.

Also, a quick shout out to the guy who digs those deep holes and doesn't fill them back in: will you please stop doing that!?!

Ok, back to the test. I set the Dual Field to the factory recommended marks and the Pulse Delay was set at minimum. I got a buzzing in my ear about the sound of a mosquito that came and went, so I figured I was set pretty well. There was no ringing or buzzing in my ears afterwords. I belt mounted the control box and gave myself plenty of cable. Not enough to trip on, but enough I think to prevent tugging.

A couple of things I noticed right away. First, the stock shaft is not the most manageable I've seen and I'm probably investing in a straight shaft real soon. The twelve inch coil is pretty unwieldy, even out of the surf and that's definitely going to take some getting used to. But I also know that inner and outer coil is there for a reason and I intend to make the most of it.

As to the floating nature of the coil: it definitely does, but on this test the surf was a little rough and I never got more than ankle deep, so this wasn't a real test for that.

The beach was surprisingly light on targets; trash and otherwise. My only mistake, and it was a big one, was that I didn't take my big SunSpot sand scoop with me, I took my 6" long handled scoop. Not smart. The Dual Field was hitting on some deep targets in that surf and I could barely scoop the sand out before the tide started filling my hole back in. The bent pull tab below represented about ten minutes fighting with the tide to get it.

The next deep target, in the wet sand, had a similar problem. The sand kept collapsing inside the hole because the target was so deep. It was a losing battle. Some kindly passing Excal users took pity on ol' Smudge and loaned me their grown up sized sand scoop which had the target in two scoops. Bless you guys. I owe you one! I think they were also interested to see what the heck I was digging that crater for. :D Turned out to be tent spike below.

I guess the most interesting find was the key and chain retrieved from about 10". I swung further to see if there was a treasure chest nearby to go with the key, but no such luck. :icon_pirat:

Next time I'm bring the right scoop and a continued respect for this detector. One thing is for sure. I will never have to complain about detector depth again.

I'm still too new with this detector to start thinking about tones, but I'm glad that I at least dug the obligatory sparkler wires and that I got at least one bobby one. My trip would never be complete without it. ;D

I'll let you folks know how next weekend goes! Until then, have a great week and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread