Nice Colonial Star Button & More Recent Finds

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last week, I returned to a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley that has been very good to me. I've found a number of nice colonial and 19th century relics there - including a 1/000 1801 LC, tombacs and shoe buckles. But the site is rather difficult to hunt due to the fact it's surrounded by electric livestock fence. It drives all of my detectors crazy. Also, there's lots of iron. Nonetheless, the AT Pro continues to amaze me. I hit a little knoll where most of the relics have been found and which I've pounded before. We had about 2" of rain this week and the ground was ideal for signals. I was there about 2 hours and found several nice horse related buckles and the items below. The star patterned button is amazing. The photo doesn't really do it justice. Any additional info on that pattern would be appreciated. I thought at first it might be military, but probably not. The second grouping is from a Civil War site I hunted a week ago. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• colonial trio.jpg
    colonial trio.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 127
  • colonial butttons 4-15.jpg
    colonial butttons 4-15.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 120
  • colonial star button.jpg
    colonial star button.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 131
  • jgd 4-15.jpg
    jgd 4-15.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 8

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the button and lead. Does the electric fence also plays havoc with the Deus?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the button and lead. Does the electric fence also plays havoc with the Deus?

I've only used the Deus there once, but yes, it also interferes. It does seem to do a "little" better with the interference though. But I believe the AT Pro, if you know the machine, can go head to head with the Deus in iron when using the 5x8 coil.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FINDS ! :thumbsup:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Stony i just realized this was you!You changed your name....That button is a beauty..

~Blaze~

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is a stunner and I've got a piece of shoe buckle very similar to that. Looks like a great old spot

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stony i just realized this was you!You changed your name....That button is a beauty..

~Blaze~

Hey JB - thanks! Yeah, had to change my name to stay one step ahead of them durn revenuers. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is a stunner and I've got a piece of shoe buckle very similar to that. Looks like a great old spot

Ahab - thanks. Yes, like I said, I've pounded this one area (about 40'x60') and was surprised to pull these three relics out yesterday. The moist soil and just slowing down and listening very carefully made a real difference.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Colonial Star Button & More Recent Finds

That Star button is a beautiful one. I know what you mean about the electric fence. Underground dog fences are another ATP killer. Every once in awhile I run into an old transformer that will make you lose your religion too. I laughed at JB cause I want to call you Stonewall every time I see you post.
Beautiful lead...you have some nice examples of CW bullets there.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab - thanks. Yes, like I said, I've pounded this one area (about 40'x60') and was surprised to pull these three relics out yesterday. The moist soil and just slowing down and listening very carefully made a real difference.
Slowing down makes all the difference! I went into turtle mode in a spot that my buddy had just detected through. I pulled 32 colonial buttons, 2 coppers and a shoe buckle. These hot spots are a lot easier to miss than folks realize

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Star button is a beautiful one. I know what you mean about the electric fence. Underground dog fences are another ATP killer. Every once in awhile I run into an old transformer that will make you lose your religion too. I laughed at JB cause I want to call you Stonewall every time I see you post.
Beautiful lead...you have some nice examples of CW bullets there.

Thanks OD. When I first registered, I went through several screen name tries that I wanted - all were taken. "Old Stonewall" was kind of a fallback name. "Valley Rangers" was the name of the unit that mustered out of my hometown of Waynesboro, so I thought it suited me better. Yes, that Williams cleaner was the first one I'd ever found. It's in perfect condition.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Slowing down makes all the difference! I went into turtle mode in a spot that my buddy had just detected through. I pulled 32 colonial buttons, 2 coppers and a shoe buckle. These hot spots are a lot easier to miss than folks realize

"These hot spots are a lot easier to miss than folks realize" Yes, I'm learning that finally. I don't know if I can get back this spring, the grass was almost too high this time. Might have to wait until fall.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
As said by others that Star Button is real nice indeed, CONGRATS !!!!! I look forward to see what else you pull out from there on your next visit :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As said by others that Star Button is real nice indeed, CONGRATS !!!!! I look forward to see what else you pull out from there on your next visit :thumbsup:

Thanks Bubba!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread