Nice CW Hunt in Central KY...Found a Soldiers Pocket Watch!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice CW Hunt in Central KY...Found a Soldier's Pocket Watch!!

Hi All,

My hunting buddy and I went out to a long forgotten Civil War fort in Kentucky yesterday to do some relic huntin. There was so much area to cover so I took one ridge and my buddy took another. It wasn't long before we were both finding CW lead. There were fired minnies on the sides of both hills, and we know from research that the fort was attacked a couple of different times from 1863 to 1864. The fort has been hunted to death over the years so the finds were very few far between. I did, however, manage to find a really cool soldier's pocket watch!! I thought it was a breast plate when I first dug it up, lol. Once I got it home and cleaned up I was able to pry the back off of it. On the inside it has "Wm Ellery" and "Waltham, Mass.". The serial number is 126,945 which dates it to 1864!! I also found out that Abraham Lincoln carried a "Wm Ellery" watch before he was elected president. Talk about cool!! Anyway, by the end of the hunt I ended up with several Minnies (two of them being the big .69s), three Colt pistol bullets, three small pistol balls, and a really nice Colt Revolving Rifle bullet! I'm still worn out from climbing those really steep hills, but it was worth it! Enjoy!

HH!

Fox

Attachments

• DSCN1076.JPG
    DSCN1076.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN1075.JPG
    DSCN1075.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,116
  • DSCN1080.JPG
    DSCN1080.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,101
  • DSCN1081.JPG
    DSCN1081.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,100
  • DSCN1083.JPG
    DSCN1083.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,083
  • DSCN1082.JPG
    DSCN1082.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,094
Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Nice CW Hunt in Central KY...Found a Soldier's Pocket Watch!!

FoxHound said:
coinmaster2db said:
nova treasure said:
I been there years ago, back before the State took it over and made it restricted.
I've been to Ft. Duffield too. Went to "Civil War days" or whatever they call it. It's a cool place. I'd love to hunt it, but that "No Metal Detecting" sign led me to believe that you couldn't hunt there.

The site we were hunting was not Fort Duffield and was definately not restricted. We were hunting Fort Boyle which was built in 1863 to protect portions of the L&N RR. My buddy actually found the fort 40 years ago and came away with a lot of neat relics. Unfortunately a subdivision has completely consumed the fort. There's only a 10 ft. section of an earthwork wall remaining.

HH!

Fox

Nope not Duffield, further south down the tracks, use to be called Camp Lucy/ Fort Boyle. The earth works are all along the rr tracks and back 20 yrs ago the actual firepits were still intact, the old train tracks lay below the hill and it looked like the soldiers had just left from it. It was an awesome place that we had the owners consent to film it on 8 mm video.
The big hill overlooks the interstate, We was told some yrs ago from the owner that some trespassers came in from the interstate and dug the firepits and tore up digging the earth works and it was reported to the State of it historical significance being destroyed. So it was posted against trespassers and offlimits the last i had known, hopefully you went through the proper respectful way and recieved permission and if so, Congrats on some very nice finds.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The site was recently sold to a developer and there is now a house right on top of where the fort once was. It has been totally leveled, unfortunately. We talked to the developer about hunting the woods and hills near by and he gave us the go ahead. He also said that, in the next couple of years, they will be clearing out the woods and building more houses out there. That's rather disheartening, but I guess progress is the enemy of history.

Fox

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

FoxHound said:
The site was recently sold to a developer and there is now a house right on top of where the fort once was. It has been totally leveled, unfortunately. We talked to the developer about hunting the woods and hills near by and he gave us the go ahead. He also said that, in the next couple of years, they will be clearing out the woods and building more houses out there. That's rather disheartening, but I guess progress is the enemy of history.

Fox

It is a terrrible thing, I hate seeing so much History being destroyed. I am glad that you were able to be granted permission and save some nice relics.

Nova Treasure

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome watch!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet relics!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice Finds!
Git 'em while you can :thumbsup:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Awesome finds!!!! I'd love to hunt a place like that!!!

Any chance you'll be able to hunt the area if and when the earth moving equipment shows up? I would think the finds would be amazing!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions