Nice Day in the Bean Field Ends With a Surprise Seated Silver!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

My hunting buddy called me up and said that his brother-in-law called to say that he cut his fields and that we could come out and hunt them. There was once a house in one of the fields and, supposedly, there were Civil War soldiers there at one time guarding a close-by mill. I recently got a like new Tesoro Tejon, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. Once we got there, we noticed that not only had he cut the beans, but they were cut nearly flush to the ground! This made hunting a lot easier. My first few targets were nothing special, just junk iron and shotgun shell bases. The Tejon seemed to really like iron even though I had it set above "aluminum". No big deal, really, because I bought it for hunting older sites anyway. After about two hours of hunting, I had found a couple of wheats and an Indian Head penny. I got a nice strong signal that would not go away when I turned up the disc, and I was surprised to find a 1946 silver quarter! Another hour or so passed and I managed to dig a few more Wheats, a Buffalo Nickel and many pieces of junk brass and iron. As it nearly always happens, we were getting tired and ready to head back to the truck. I took a wide line to the truck just to get another few feet of hunting in, and sure enough I got a good, strong signal. I pinpointed it, and it sounded deep. After digging down about 6 inches, I had the piece of metal out of the hole. I saw the edge of a thin silver coin sticking out of a rock hard chunk of dirt and figured it was a Merc or Rosie because of the dates on all the other coins (1930s and 1940s). I broke the coin out of the dirt and saw the outline of a beautiful Seated Lady!! Once I got it home, I cleaned it off and saw the date of 1853! This one was made in New Orleans. Some of the other interesting finds of the night include a flat piece of lead with the image of a Standing Liberty quarter impressed into the front and back, a Colgate-Palmolive "Good For One Cake of Soap" token, a cool 10 Cent trade token that reads "Strasma Bros. Hardware and Groceries", a "Modern Art" :tongue3: fork, a small brass ring, an interesting drawer pull plate, a .50 caliber bullet (possibly a .50-70), and about five pounds of junk lead, aluminum, and iron. All the copper coins are corroded so badly that it is hard to read the dates. It's amazing what kind of effect that certain chemicals can have on these coins. Anyway, that's my hunt for the day. Thanks for looking!!

HH!
Fox

Attachments

• DSCN0814.JPG
    DSCN0814.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 558
  • silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 547
  • token.jpg
    token.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs bud :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice seated :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: i am happy when i find 1 a year ;D MR TUFF

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mr Tuff said:
nice seated :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: i am happy when i find 1 a year ;D MR TUFF

Thanks Mr. Tuff! This is only my third silver for the year. I don't find very many hunting house sites.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, sweet hunt. I hope that we will start getting into the fields soon. I am seeing some fields go, but so far, none of mine. That old seated gives an Indiana boy hope for the future. Thanks, for sharing.

Don
HH

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never found a seated coin yet. My buddy found a 1853 seated dime,with arrows and no mint mark. Im hoping find one someday day.Congratulations on your finding one :headbang:.

U

umrgolf

nice dime :icon_thumleft: i got an 1853-O last december and an 1853 this year w/ no mintmark.. congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread