Nice find this week!

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging up one thing and happened to stumble across this! Pretty cool! Any experts know anything based on shape? It’s definitely Catlinite.
6997A856-2B79-4DA0-9C34-4805D15729F7.jpeg
2854B878-5F38-44E8-9C64-B28CD98ED026.jpeg

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sure it could be but the OP has to consider...where it was found, how it was found, the situation it was found in, what the soil was like (lose, dug, packed etc.), all sorts of considerations not to mention, material, patina, style and type.

a catlinite pipe is always going to be VERY suspicious but if all the check marks are hit for the OP, he can be pretty sure of its authenticity.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Documenting the depth..then carefully excavating that layer of material might be useful for determining the age.
Perhaps some other identifiable artifacts will be found that can help establish an estimated date range.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that pipe cleaned up beautifully! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
B

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pardon my ignorance but how do you know it is not modern?

I didn’t want to give up too much information. But, my property was home to Indian tribes. It’s documented and I’ve found several Indian items here. The civil war stuff is more shallow that the Indian stuff. That helps some. Also, we were probing for a privy in a spot that looked questionable. Hit something crunchy and it ended up being a buffalo femur. The buffalo were killed off 160 years ago. This pipe was literally 6” left of the femur.

I’m guessing that with the other items found and the depth, and the documented history, it’s legit.

My kids were actually there with me and were filming. It will be a great family item to pass down and remember!

OP
OP
B

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some other items if found in the same acre or so:
2F50FA67-EADD-4F16-BA0D-C8AE6476AFB0.jpeg
B8197B9C-CF50-4BDE-B092-057EE0BDBAA5.jpeg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner that's a sweet pipe cant believe it's in such good condition display that bad boy wow. Well done

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'm not sure if it was this forum or another defunct one, but a collector who used to post found a couple of those on a late Prehistoric site. (Dan Fox if I remember correctly, wrote a book on plains artifacts.)

I think that plump L style is found mostly in Nebraska and Kansas.

I have two copies of that books. Artifacts of the central great plains if i remember correctly. Dan and I hung out a while and did a quick hunt here a number of years ago when he was here for a wedding. Interesting guy, he has found a lot of great stuff in the past.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it must be real then given location and depth. Be nice to see a pipe float across the banner if everything checks out. Lots of experts on here with sound opinions.
HH

OP
OP
B

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a correct pipe style for the region it was found in. As was previously stated it is Late Prehistoric in age. There are two similar pipes plus a preform in this image. These two pipes are currently in in a well-known Oklahoma collection.

Thanks for posting that! When you say late prehistoric age, how old could this be? What is a value on a pipe like this? Obviously, it will never be sold.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty and thanks for extra pics. Is there a layer in ground where you found bone and pipe?

OP
OP
B

bonedoctor

Aug 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty and thanks for extra pics. Is there a layer in ground where you found bone and pipe?

Yes. The flakes, the bison femur, and the pipe were exactly the same level, about 1’ down, which is lower than the mid 1800s stuff I’ve found. I know things sort of float depending on their density, but I think this was buried before that. There is a very hard clay layer at 3’, and a probe won’t penetrate it. Looking into ground penetrating radar. Begging my wife ��

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. The flakes, the bison femur, and the pipe were exactly the same level, about 1’ down, which is lower than the mid 1800s stuff I’ve found. I know things sort of float depending on their density, but I think this was buried before that. There is a very hard clay layer at 3’, and a probe won’t penetrate it. Looking into ground penetrating radar. Begging my wife ��

Might have to dig a bigger outhouse hole

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome! How did I miss this the other day?

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the very nice pipe, never seen one that shape before and congratulations on the banner. In the photo of the display case of other finds in the area is that a gold coin at bottom center? Detail was somewhat blurry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread