Nice finds from England

bbroth

Greenie
Jun 11, 2003
Woodland Park Colorado
Just back from detecting in England for almost a week. Thought I would post my best finds from there.
13th century heraldic shield pendant
1363-1369 Edward III hammered silver groat
1351-1361 Edward III hammered silver groat
1696 William III silver sixpence
17th/18th century gold posy ring inscribed "content is a treaSure"
Roman silver coin 218-222
2 Saxon lead coins or tokens

I would say I had a pretty good hunt. All finds were left with the Portable Antiquities Scheme. It should take about 6 months for me to get them.

Attachments

• best.jpg
    best.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 561
  • ewdbackx.jpg
    ewdbackx.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 570
  • treasurex.jpg
    treasurex.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Very nice finds, looks like you had a great trip. The lead Tokens are Medieval...a bit later than Saxon :thumbsup: You should be Ok with the Posy ring, just outside the Treasure Act date.

SS

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Awesome finds! I can't wait to get over there myself. :headbang:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Great stuff. My final dream (after having dug a CW battlefield in Georgia) is to go back to England and do some digging there. I am mightly impressed.

The S in TreaSure is actually treasure, the old style s (as seen in "In Congreff) that looks like an f. By about 1810, it was fairly discontinued in print. 18th Century is a reasonable late date for the ring. The rules for using it seem a little wierd as I have maps with the regular s in the middle of the word and the F s at the end, and others with the opposite or old style in both places.

Too cool.

"

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Peacock Pendant is a nice find, those larger hammered are pretty hard to get, only had a couple this whole year, so far :icon_thumright:

As far as posting the gold ring, as long as it post 1711 your OK :-\

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
CRUSADER said:
The Peacock Pendant is a nice find, those larger hammered are pretty hard to get, only had a couple this whole year, so far :icon_thumright:

I'm guessing if it were pre 1711 they would come over here and take it away? :icon_scratch:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds bbroth! :icon_thumright:
Isn't it nice that we live in countries where we
don't have to "declare" what we find to anyone! :wink:

Dave

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
CRUSADER said:

I'm guessing if it were pre 1711 they would come over here and take it away? :icon_scratch:
The BM will have no interest in a Posy ring, a lot are found each year....to much attention is being made to the BM, finds like these only slow the process even further, and people declaring stupid finds(like fragments) just to get noticed ::)....but still a nice ring to find :thumbsup:

SS

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
VERY GOOD FINDS!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

These are great coins and I really love the 13th century heraldic shield pendant, its just beautiful

love the hammered too

Congratulations!!!

Cheers
Nutria

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
RPG said:
CRUSADER said:

Lets put it this way, I wouldn't want the BM making a case of me. May never get invited back. :thumbsup:

Good point. :)

Wouldn't want to jeopardise a return trip. :-\

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
RPG said:
CRUSADER said:

The BM will have no interest in a Posy ring, a lot are found each year....to much attention is being made to the BM, finds like these only slow the process even further, and people declaring stupid finds(like fragments) just to get noticed ::)....but still a nice ring to find :thumbsup:

SS

I agree, I can only hope to ever find one. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bbroth

Greenie
Jun 11, 2003
Woodland Park Colorado
The posy ring was reported as possible treasure mainly because it has no hallmarks meaning it may be more than 300 years old. Makers initials are RH? Wish I knew who that was.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
RPG said:
CRUSADER said:

SS

well, that is totally untrue.

I know people who monitor ebay on behalf of the BM & they have stopped listings, including gold rings where people have said they only found it last week, so be more careful ::)

If you don't wish to follow the Law then that's fine, but don't encourage others on an open forum to do the same. Nothing is stupid to record, if it falls in the terms of the Act, simple. Tnet should not endorse your words, in fact they need deleting, if we are to keep our good reputation.
I am incouraging no one...goody two shoes, it's people like you who mess it up and delay things >:(
and about deleting words, you seem to get plenty deleted, with your doubting Thomas attitude. The ring will proberbly sit in a box at the BM for at least 2 years, with no intention of a purchase, because quite simply, it would have no interest to them, and they don't have the money, but they will still hang on to it.....Wake up...... And I would always report a important British find, should I find one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just realised my comments were not valid to this post. Read it again & see the poster has done the right thing & handed them to the PAS, so as to gain a export licence for them. WELL DONE & fingers crossed the ring is not Treasure because the 2 year wait is a little excessive.

Also looking at the Groats again they are very fine examples & a nice addition to anyones hammered collection. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread