Nice Hunt at a Worked Out Civil War Fort Plus Interesting Artillery Button!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

I finally got a chance to head out with a buddy to a Civil War fort in central Kentucky that he and a few others have hunted a lot over the last 30 years. Once we got to the site (after a mile and a half hike) the hunting went really slow because of numerous spider webs and mosquitoes. Finally, about 45 minutes in I found a fired 3-ringer, which must have fallen out of my pocket :-\ , about 4 inches under a shotgun shell base! I was surprised to see that both of these were missed! After another 20 minutes or so of hard hunting I found a nice eagle button with it's shank still intact. We had a bit of a dry spell and decided to head over to the other side of the creek and I immediately got this interesting button that appears to be British ??? . The front reads "ROYAL REGt OF ARTILLERY" with a script "GR" in the center and crown on top. The backmark is "I(?) McGowan London". I have no idea why there would be a British Artillery button on a Civil War site. The area where it was found is, supposedly, where the officers quarters were. Anyway, the only other thing I found was a dropped 3-ringer right as we were about to leave. My hunting buddy found four 3-ringers, a nice eagle "I" button and a shell frag. Really not too much to show for an all day hunt, but it's better than nothing! We will probably be going back tomorrow to hunt the other side of the creek a little better. Wish me luck!

Also, if anyone knows anything about the Artillery button I found, please let me know because this one has me stumped!

Fox

Attachments

• DSCN0797.JPG
    DSCN0797.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 315
  • RSCN0808.JPG
    RSCN0808.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 321
  • RSCN0807.JPG
    RSCN0807.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 310
  • RSCN0806.JPG
    RSCN0806.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info Crusader! Any idea on the value of this type of button?

HH!

Fox

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FoxHound said:
Thanks for the info Crusader! Any idea on the value of this type of button?

HH!

Fox

No & yes. No idea what you crazy folk would pay (any figure I come up with & times it by 100) & yes I know what its worth here. :laughing9:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Officers usually paid for their own uniforms so they may have used buttons from a previous time period or just as a good luck charm. May have been owned by a father or grandfather. Just a thought.

Congrats on some great finds.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread