Nice Large Cent found In Western Mass

pittscop631

Jun 9, 2016
Pittsfield
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this 1803 Draped Bust View attachment Large Cent Front.bmp Large Cent Back.jpg View attachment Large Cent Front.bmp Large Cent Back.jpg Large Cent in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts, trying to research the counterstamped marking on the coin but not having much luck. Any ideas?

Upvote 27

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you your variety though..... it's a "Sheldon-265"....or S-265.....Large Date, Large Fraction.... Rarity 4. And actually in REALLY nice shape as most examples are not. Can't tell you anything about the counterstamp. I've found several with counterstamps. Congrats.......Hogge. I'm in Pittsfield too.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and with a counter stamp thats a keeper All my years detecting havent found one yet YET lol Very nice coin.......Tommy

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beauty, nice first largie John. I sent the same link to you that SultansofSwing did, I wasn't able to find the SE. Amazing that the spot keeps on giving, unfortunately I got skunked yesterday.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s one of the nicest older large cents that I’ve seen come out of the ground. You called it when you brought us over to that stretch of woods, I’m glad that you found the best coin! I still can’t identify that little copper coin that I found...

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find and with a counter stamp thats a keeper All my years detecting havent found one yet YET lol Very nice coin.......Tommy

Keep swinging your new Equinox 800 Tommy and you’ll find one before you know it. The Equinox and XP machines light up old coppers like no other!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice large cent recovery! :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard fellow Mass hunter! Can't tell you te counterstamp info, but I can tell you that won't be your last- GL going forward!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find in great shape.

Colonial Digger

May 6, 2019
illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome !! love the counter stamp coins i have about 8, flying eagles in my collection that are counter stamped. Great Find

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice DB Large ! but what is happening with the reverse ? is anybody else seeing the lettering and wreath and all the other details appear incuse ??
( sunken below the planchet level , as though they are stamped in ) ?..

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice DB Large ! but what is happening with the reverse ? is anybody else seeing the lettering and wreath and all the other details appear incuse ??
( sunken below the planchet level , as though they are stamped in ) ?..
I saw that right off, but thought it was an illusion with the camera pic or something, which it appears to be, in the first reverse pic. If you go to the second reverse pic, it looks normal.

Last edited:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Only ever found one of those myself. Congrats!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite coin is the LC and that is a highly unusual one. Thanks for the pics. Good luck!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a stellar draped bust congrats! The counter stamp makes it even better! Congrats on an extra special one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions