Nice Looking Ring, But What Is It? Stainless? Silver? White gold? Platinum???

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
:help: Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and new to the hobby but I'm loving it. It's been great seeing and reading about your finds. Several months ago I started really looking into metal detectors for the beach after seeing all the spring break kids in South Florida. I read up and decided on the Excalibur II. I ordered the detector in May and had to wait until mid-July to get it because they were on back-order. So far I'm happy with it.

Anyway, tonight I was hunting right up around the high tide line and I hear this super-high pitch...much higher than a quarter and definitely the highest pitch I've ever heard on my detector. I was curious to see what it could be and surprised that it took 3 deep scoops to dig it out (it was at about a foot+ deep). When I shook it through my scoop I was shocked to see a white ring (slightly scratched and worn) with what looked like diamonds peeking out at me! I kept it hidden in my scoop and I didn't want to look at it for too long because there were some tourists staring at me. When I had a chance to really examine it I could feel that it was really heavy for the size with 10 small clear stones in a trough along the top of the ring. It was inscribed "____ & ____ Forever" and was stamped with what looks like "C-VA OG 9.5" (possibly C-NA 0G 9.5) and a makers mark that looks like an open-topped diamond. I ran every search I could think of to try to figure out what metal this could be. I did a search for the unique names in the inscription hoping I could return it to its owner but didn't find anything posted...I guess I'm just as happy keeping it.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS RING IS MADE OF?

The other two rings were found in waist deep water on Saturday. The one in the middle is 18 K gold and the one on the left is 14K gold fill with a sterling silver band (At least I think that's what it says. The 14k G.F. & Sterling inscription was really tiny and hard to read. It was also stamped "uncas". I did a search and it looks like uncas company went out of business in the 60's so this one could be pretty old. It was also pretty worn out and pitted so I think it's been down there in the sand for a long time.

Attachments

• DSC03661.JPG
    DSC03661.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 617
  • DSC03665.JPG
    DSC03665.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC03664.JPG
    DSC03664.JPG
    500.3 KB · Views: 563
Upvote 0

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the middle picture where the inscription is visible I am seeing a faint 2 between the 9 and 5...Might be 925...Anyone else see that? I may be going blind as well.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes zax, looks like 925 to me as well. You can make out the bottom part of the two.

Nice ring man! Keep em coming :)

CapeTownBeachBum

Sep 21, 2014
Cape Town
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Teknetics G2 Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
High tone for a deep ring would most likely be silver which gives off a high tone even deep. 925 would confirm it to be silver and the stones would be CZ's at best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread