Nice looking thing, but what is it (or what was it used for)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This part was found in Holland, but on the forum there no one could come with a definite determination to what it was.
Maybe someone here would know....

Material Bronze
Mass gram 3,8
Size (mm) lwh lw= 46 x 18.2
Diameter Ø (mm)
Find Place Hoorn, The Netherlands

Anyone want to take a guess?
The hole appears to be made after the object was removed from its place.

Attachments

• Unkown 1.jpg
    Unkown 1.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 133

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fleur-de-lis with a Saxon shield string dispenser? I'm sure that's not it, but it does look old.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tab from a bronze-age 40-pounder ? seems like it could be an ornament from armor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the only thing that is correct at this moment is "fleur-de-lis". 'Come on' guys (experts) get serious!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let you know that you are not doing anything different than the bad Dutch guys they said:

Hand from a clock
belt attachment ca 1500
a book closing device

Which of course are I think wrong guesses...

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously, it could be anything. You just have to leave it out there until someone recognizes it. Back in the day even the most mundane things were made ornate, I've seen some carpenter tools inlaid with gold and ivory and little pearl-handled spoons which were used to clean your nose.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it's likely just decorative hardware from a vintage trunk or other furniture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Bruce I understand. I was just surprised when I put it on a Dutch forum and they did not know anything about it either. Strange because it was found there.
Some things can't be determined to what they are or used for. One example of this is an object that was found close by where I live. We put it on our largest forum here (in Dutch but can be in English too) and it took or is the longest thread every posted there.

It started out on August 8th 2011 and the last post was in February 26, 2016. So still going strong after 5 years. 15 pages (very long pages) and so many guess to what it is or was. But every guess always seemed to have points that could not be answered, negative points.
Inloggen

I also put it here on TN but not really any new answer... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/297350-another-strange-pewter-object.html

Strange. Most experts said it was a baby rattle or something like that, but its a type of thing you would not let your child play with.

Anyway, maybe I will get lucky!

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, the British discovered stonehenge about a thousand years ago, and they still can't make it fly!!! Ha, Ha.......Sorry.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, that mechanical brass thing with all the gears in it you see on tv once in awhile that was found on the bottom of the ocean somewhere, they managed to give it a fancy name but still don't know what it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, that mechanical brass thing with all the gears in it you see on tv once in awhile that was found on the bottom of the ocean somewhere, they managed to give it a fancy name but still don't know what it is.
Tell me more, never heard about that.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I think that's it. It was found in an ancient shipwreck in the Mediterranean, they think it's some kind of astrological computer

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it looks 17th C, maybe 18th.

But no idea what it went on.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it will help us to know the measurements in inches. I looked at a conversion table and found that your piece measures about 11/16" wide by 1 3/4" long. I also think that the hole, even though it is slightly off centered, is original to the manufacture of the piece. With that in mind, could it be part of a cabinet door or drawer pull?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fyrffytr1... (explain please)

Just so happens that I use an electronic digital caliper so I can change between inch/mm

My computer says
46mm and 18.2mm
1.81" and 0.71"

When I use the caliper it shows
1.81" x .72 (widest part)
46,07 x 18.3 mm

So you and I are in the ball park. Of course it could be a drawer pull or part of a cabinet door. Since it's made from bronze instead of tin I don't really think it's that old, however it has a great patina which only appears over a long time. With the beautiful patina I am thinking more along the path as Crusader, and on the 18e century because of the bronze. Tin was cheaper back in those days. But who knows...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the dutch forum it is now called a medieval book fitting!
Does that sound good?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread