Nice Merc w/ date doubling!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Picked up a handful of Merc's for ~$1.30 each. Got a nice '31-S, decent '26-S and '31 coins. Overall very pleased as usual with the buy. Checking them out when I got home I found a very nice 1945 in higher grade with nice doubling. The date is pronounced, the motto is doubled and all of the letters in LIBERTY exhibit decent doubling. Probably my nicest doubled find thus far.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the 1945 double!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Twitch; Curious. What's the value ?? You should have it Certified PCGS or ANACS. I look forward to your answers. Can you Post a Full View of BOTH sides of the coin for us please ?? Great Find. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks Prof!

Barker - I don't know what it's worth, I'd guess I could probably get 4 or 5 times more than I paid for it. Any thoughts on value would interesting. Here are pic's of the front and back. Turn's out it's a '45-D, I didn't note that in the original post.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    993.2 KB · Views: 138

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but that's machine doubling. It's not true doubling. Notice how the devices are smaller than normal when you take it away? Hub doubling won't do that.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I see. The point is there is no added value for this. Definitely not worth sending off to be graded.
HH
enamel7

Enamel - Here's a test for you: if I list the coin on eBay with the pictures attached here then your stance is that it will sell for roughly ~$1.40 or something similar because there is no added value? Keep in mind I'm not asking what you'd pay for it, rather what the market would pay for it and hence what its value actually is. Thanks.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Enamel - Here's a test for you: if I list the coin on eBay with the pictures attached here then your stance is that it will sell for roughly ~$1.40 or something similar because there is no added value? Keep in mind I'm not asking what you'd pay for it, rather what the market would pay for it and hence what its value actually is. Thanks.

It is almost assured that someone will think that it is a Double Die and pay a much higher price for it or someone that collects coins with Machine Doubling will pay a much higher price for it. Just look at past sales of 1969-S (Business Strike) Lincoln Cents with Machine Doubling and you will see what I mean!

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is almost assured that someone will think that it is a Double Die and pay a much higher price for it or someone that collects coins with Machine Doubling and will pay a much higher price for it. Just look at past sales of 1969-S (Business Strike) Lincoln Cents with Machine Doubling ad you will see what I mean!

Frank

That is because the people that bid on these assume they are true doubling, meaning they don't know any better. If you list it as a doubled die they could ask for a refund.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is because the people that bid on these assume they are true doubling, meaning they don't know any better. If you list it as a doubled die they could ask for a refund.

enamel... You are absolutely correct! However, I have seen coins on eBay with nothing more than Machine Doubling listed as such or listed as being "Doubled Dies" (note the "d" at the end of "Double") as is the case with many of the 1955-P "Poorman's Doubled Die" Lincoln Cents and they fetch significant premiums. Someone coined the use of "Doubled Die" long ago for some coins with Machine Doubling on them even though they are as far away from a true "Double Die" as you can get, it still stuck and is excepted by many folks that shop for coins on eBay. While some of the folks that purchase coins listed this way, may ask to return the item for a refund, most do not and there in lies the problem and why the term is excepted!

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true Frank. If I were going to sell one on feebay though I would list it as MD. My integrity wouldn't let me do otherwise.
HH
enamel7

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That's true Frank. If I were going to sell one on feebay though I would list it as MD. My integrity wouldn't let me do otherwise.
HH
enamel7

I see that we are like minded!:icon_thumright: Be honest to your customers and potential customers and they will always come back for more of your' items.

Frank

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy's are Saints. LOL

Please Enlighten me on the Diff, in MD, & True DD.
I always thought the coin was accidentally Struck Twice, That looks to have happened on the Op's Coin.

Of Course Until a Year ago I thought The Face on a Barber Coin was that of a Greek or Roman man...lol

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the case of MD, the dies are usually tightened down to prevent movement. If there is a little play in one of the dies it may shift during the strike. MD can also happen if the die bounces.
A true doubled die happens when the die is hubbed. The design is pressed into the die. If the die or hub is accidentally rotated or tilted the design is applied again in a different position, giving it a separate image. Did I miss anything Frank?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
In the case of MD, the dies are usually tightened down to prevent movement. If there is a little play in one of the dies it may shift during the strike. MD can also happen if the die bounces.
A true doubled die happens when the die is hubbed. The design is pressed into the die. If the die or hub is accidentally rotated or tilted the design is applied again in a different position, giving it a separate image. Did I miss anything Frank?

Looks pretty good to me!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread