Nice nickel box

ObverseDiversion

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2014
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd been averaging around 5-8 boxes per month, various denominations but mostly nickels and dimes, for the past few months. I picked up the pace the past couple weeks ago when I heard Chase was getting rid of their coin machines at the end of the month. I had figured I would retire from hunting now that I would need to be rolling before depositing. These past few weeks have been some of the better luck I've had recently, so I'm having second thoughts.

The nickel box I just went through was my best ever:
1936 buffalo (no mintmark), best condition I've found
1936 buffalo (no mintmark)
2 dateless buffalos
1942P
1943P x2
1945P
Two steel Canadians, one 1996 Mexian Peso
Unfortunately, nothing to fill the holes in my folder (I still need 50D, 38S, 39D, 39S, 44S, 45D)

My prior best had been 3 war nickels, one dateless buffalo and one V nickel (1892, super slick) about a year ago.

The other boxes I rolled last week were decent, too. Three half boxes turned up 4x40% (much better than the 20 box skunk streak that led me to stop hunting halves a few months ago), four dime boxes with 14 silver (1x 1939 merc, one 80% Candian, and 12 Roosevelts; 9 of the Roosevelts were in one box); three other nickel boxes with three war nickels and a dateless buffalo; a skunk quarter box that filled a few holes my state and park quarter folders; and a penny box (sub par with 7 wheats, one in the teens). A teller also hooked me up with a dump of $300 of Eisenhower dollars; just remarkable for one shabby looking 1976 S clad proof, and a clad 1973D, which I hadn't found as of yet. And, I got a wrinkly 1957 blue seal dollar.

Has anybody had any luck hunting the small dollar coins? I've been debating about getting a box tomorrow to try and pull a full set of Susan B Anthonys.

Happy Hunting

Nickelobverse6.28.15.JPG
Nickelreverse6.28.15.JPG

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll say this. Chances are if you get a box of dollar coins you will only get brand new presidential coins.
I understand the issue with Chase, but they're other banks with coin counters. You need to just find them. Good luck to you.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's a nice haul. With one box, I'm happy to get either a buffalo or a war nickel. I've NEVER found a V nickel although that would be cooler than hell to find....7up

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I don't know about Il, but where I live at least two different Credit Union chains have free counters for members. Might check into that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions