Nice piece of a whatsit silver, wheats, old button, some clad

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually not too much notable to write about. Two wheats, 1929 and 1944. An old button marked P J Kearney, Philadelphia. $2.94 in clad. A ladies compact marked on the front with an A, which probably stands for Avon. Last but not least is a silver case of some sorts that was about 8 inches deep and really gave a nice high tone and vdi of 92-94 on the AT Pro. I need help on identifying what it was used for. It is about 2 1/2 inches long x 1 1/2 inches wide x 1/4 inch deep. It is a high grade silver and seems to have had the remains of a hinge on one side which leads me to believe that it had a lid at some time. I really checked the hole to make sure the lid was not still in it. It is engraved / embossed with what seems to be holly leaves and flowers. Complete and not damaged, it would have been one nice looking case. Any suggestions on what it may have been would be welcomed. It is a fairly heavy piece of silver. Happy hunting and keep on swinging IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0261.JPG

Upvote 9

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey at least we got out. My hunt was nothing too great either. That silver piece is cool.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Silver piece! Have no idea other than maybe for pills, or a really slim lighter.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After posting this, I did some research online and found out that this was indeed called a match safe. They were made from the 1870's to about 1930. They carried the old stick matches safely, as compared with carrying them in the pocket where they could rub together and ignite. Would have been nice to find the whole safe intact, but that is just the way it goes.
Hey at least we got out. My hunt was nothing too great either. That silver piece is cool.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I was going to say match safe, and that's a nice one! Congrats

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SILVER CASE IS SWEET .

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty noteworthy to me. Thanks for sharing.

HH, Relic Nut

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet looking piece of silver! I also first thought match safe, then read the replies and indeed thats what it appears to be. Great hunt :icon_thumright:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug a similar silver piece at the farm this month. was filled with beeswax, measures 1 1/2" X 7/8", possible silver cap for end of wood handle cutlery. IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3164.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread