ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally I was able to take a nice, long, all day road trip as I have been itching to do for months. It was past time to re-visit the bank in which I had the huge score last year. Also, fairly close to there was a bank where I scored a bag last year that produced something like 16-17 Walkers, a couple of Bens, 5-6 '64s, a Washington/Carver silver commem, and about 40 40% if I remember correctly. After that, I just headed off down the road hitting as many banks as I could before I ran out of time. It wasn't the best route I've ever planned as far as maximizing the number of banks I could hit before closing time, but it did accomplish the main goal of re-visiting the 2 banks that had produced well in the past.

I left home ~7:00 am and returned at ~7:00 pm and was able to hit 28 banks in 11 different towns covering ~350 miles roundtrip. All told I only found a disappointing $1611.50 in halves to search. However, an amazing 10 of the 28 banks produced silver. Thats by far the best ratio I've ever encountered. Some notable stops included:

- The bank in which I had the huge score last year with 53 solid rolls and nearly 1100 keepers only had $13 in halves producing a lone 40%er. Disappointing. :-[

- A small 3 bank town gave up a little silver at all 3 banks. One of those banks had $40 in MWRs. One of those rolls was a double 40% ender roll which ended up containing 5 40%, which is 3 more than I have ever gotten out of a single MWR. One of the other rolls produced 2 more. 4 MWRs gave up 7 silver. Sure would have liked to have had that box! I assume other(s) had purchased the other rolls. I further assume that surely the other rolls produced similarly as the 4 that I bought. How could anyone have left those rolls there for me to purchase?? That well may have been a dream box.

- I was able to purchase the bag from the bank as I had done last year. The tellers were very friendly, but I had to walk them through the procedure. ;D The vault teller at first told me that she didn't think that the machine even accepted halves. After assuring her that it did, or that at least it did when I was last there, she checked and sure enough it had $596 in it, to which I added $404 to fill it. She had been the vault teller for several months and had never changed that bag, so I'm assuming it hadn't been touched since I was there about a year ago. Nice! :icon_thumleft: The teller then did not know how to handle the transaction. I told him how to do it and I was on my way. After returning home, I saved the bag for last as I knew it was my best chance for a good score. "My" halves were on top, so I didn't pull my first keeper, a 40%, until I had pulled about $360 out of the bag. After about the $400 mark, I was unable to grab a handfull without both having silver in my hand, and hearing more "clank" in the bag. But, I did have a bit of a scare, and not a good one. At about the $500 mark, I grabbed a handfull of mostly pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Subsequent handfulls gave up even more. While I was accumulating silver quite nicely, I quickly surmised that if I paid 50 cents for each of these pennies, that it was going to eat up a lot of my "profit". Turns out, my fears were unjustified. The bag contained 1999 halves, 1 gold presidential dollar, and a big handfull of assorted mostly bent/mangled assorted U.S. change. After stacking all the silver, the $596 bag gave up 1 Walker, 2 Bens, 12 '64 Kens, 1 90% silver proof Ken, and 124 40%.

Total take for the day:

18 90% (13 '64 Kens, 2 Bens, 1 Walker, 2 proofs)
166 40%

If memory serves me correctly (and being too lazy to look it up :tongue3: ), this was my 3rd best road trip ever. Gonna try to do it again next week. But, the FedEx guy just dropped off a new coil for my DFX so CRH may hafta wait for a bit. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an insanely good roadie! I haven't found a keeper in CWR in months. HH

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet! I haven't read about a score like that on this site for a while. I would love to find a bank with a coin counter to buy a bag off of.

Congrats on a serious Ag feast!

HH
BB

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
Now my question to you Arkie, Did you enjoy it or stress out the whole time?

During the trip, admittedly I was stressing a bit. I mean I only made it to 28 banks in a day's time which made me feel like I was running "behind schedule" all day. I probably average getting to 40-45 banks in an all day trip, and have made it to as many as 77. Plus, I only found about $1600 total where I normally find $3000+ to search. Although, I did actually take the time to eat a burger on the run which is rare for me. The towns/banks I hit were small and just far enough apart that I just couldn't get to as many as I would have liked. I'd have to drive ~30 miles to hit a small town with 1-3 banks, and then drive another 30 or so to do it again. Many of those rural banks closed at 3:00 pm which didn't help either. Still though, the main goal was to hit the 2 "key" banks, which I did, and most of the silver came from one of those.

After returning home and beginning the search, now that I enjoyed. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread