Nice stemmed point, interesting material

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this one today. Coastal massachusetts. I find the material to be pretty interesting. It almost looks rust stained but it's obviously not.
IMG_5052.JPG IMG_5053.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it could be stained from something on the beach....natural oil seeps and the like, I often find things that look very similar.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I thought at first until I got it home and washed it off. It seems like it's really the stone, not a stain.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one kinda like that and its porous and looks like rust stains. Nice find Pancake. Know you are glad to be out there.

rush2112

Greenie
Dec 3, 2010
Houston
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the pics, but the material looks like it might be schist (weathered). A very common mineral in schist is garnet. When garnets weather out of the rock it can resemble rusting, as well seen in your second picture. Also, if you'll look at the top of the point in picture one you'll see several small dark dots. These may be garnet. These garnets are the iron end member of the group, called almandine.There's a lot of schist outcrops in the eastern US where you find the metamorphic belt of the Appalachians.

The garnets are typically this size in any of the Appalachians schist I've seen, but I have seen garnet in schist the size of ping pong balls in Alaska!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Pan I believe rush has nailed the type of material it is made from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread