Nice surprise!

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i have been playing around with density tests on some past finds. Basically, you find the mass and then find the volume and divide the mass/volume to get the density. Then look the density up on a chart based on the alloy that the ring is and it should match up to determine the metal type used. So 2 rings that I found last year that were originally thought to be silver ended up being white gold. One was marked 825 with no other marking weighing 3.73 grams. I thought it was 925 but after doing the density test, it had a heavier density which matched up on white gold. I looked closer at the stamp and it was actually 825. Woohoo. So i decided to check another ring that i was unsure of which was stamped 925 with a circle K (usually meaning gold) and turned out to be white gold as well. Pleasantly surprised. Waiting for my chem tests to be delivered in the mail and will verify.

3.73g 20K White Gold Ring
1.62g 22K White Gold Toe Ring

Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So i have been playing around with density tests on some past finds. Basically, you find the mass and then find the volume and divide the mass/volume to get the density. Then look the density up on a chart based on the alloy that the ring is and it should match up to determine the metal type used. So 2 rings that I found last year that were originally thought to be silver ended up being white gold. One was marked 825 with no other marking weighing 3.73 grams. I thought it was 925 but after doing the density test, it had a heavier density which matched up on white gold. I looked closer at the stamp and it was actually 825. Woohoo. So i decided to check another ring that i was unsure of which was stamped 925 with a circle K (usually meaning gold) and turned out to be white gold as well. Pleasantly surprised. Waiting for my chem tests to be delivered in the mail and will verify. 3.73g 20K White Gold Ring 1.62g 22K White Gold Toe Ring

What makes you think it's a toe ring?
Usually they have an open bottom.
Looks like a ring to me!

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its size 3.5 :) Maybe its just a tiny ring though. Also just checked this one that has a density of 12.74 Unknown Metal. There is no stamp in it and feels slightly bumpy. It had been in the water a very long time though as it was coated extremely thick black, so I thought it to be silver but it weighs too much for silver. 9K gold has a density of 12.8 if Nickel is used in the alloy. Any ideas on this one?

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its size 3.5 :) Maybe its just a tiny ring though. Also just checked this one that has a density of 12.74 Unknown Metal. There is no stamp in it and feels slightly bumpy. It had been in the water a very long time though as it was coated extremely thick black, so I thought it to be silver but it weighs too much for silver. 9K gold has a density of 12.8 if Nickel is used in the alloy. Any ideas on this one?

You should perform an acid test and check for platinum. Usually plat comes out spotless but who knows after being down in the water for a long time!
Would be cool to see pics of your beach, water color and all!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a tiny 14k ring once that could barely fit on my pinky tip. Jeweler says it's most likely a baby ring. Never saw a baby with bling though! Lol!

image-1340583610.jpg

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ypao.jpg
Tumon.jpg
You should perform an acid test and check for platinum. Usually plat comes out spotless but who knows after being down in the water for a long time!
Would be cool to see pics of your beach, water color and all!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bejamble! I tried to go to the link you sent me diglog.com you sent me, with no luck. Will try again. Any word on the CTX?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposed to have been fixed yesterday if parts came in. Haven't heard anything from ML though. Been there about a week and a half now, mailed Dec 26.

Cory

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done you work for NASA, Density? Try VDI of the metal , ( extremely thick Black Rings ) are not Gold ,But silver and it is a finger ring not a toe ring. If you have been Treasure hunting for a while you should know this , a ring not stamped and is found thick Black would be silver.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's a retired rocket scientist I believe! Or maybe Cory just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express :)

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
825 is Mexican silver and 925 is also silver not 22kt,but I am not a Rocket Scientist just A nobody that know better.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done you work for NASA, Density? Try VDI of the metal , ( extremely thick Black Rings ) are not Gold ,But silver and it is a finger ring not a toe ring. If you have been Treasure hunting for a while you should know this , a ring not stamped and is found thick Black would be silver.

Right, silver coats with thick black (silver oxide) but that doesn't explain the ring having a density of 12.74 as silver has a density of 10.50 which means its an alloy of silver and another metal, namely a heavier metal with a density of greater than 12.74. Platinum is 21.50, Gold 24K is 19.30 and Tungsten is 19.30. The ring appears to be silver and after further cleaning a stamp is there, just unclear. Stamp does appear to be 925 or maybe 825. The "bubbling" effect on the ring does happen on silver that has been in the sea water long enough. I have an acid test kit on order but is taking forever to arrive. Although an acid test will test for silver, it will not provide the alloy contents in which density calculation will (considering you know what the alloy is). I don't work for NASA although i was trained as a Nuclear Mechanics and moved into Electronic Navigation Systems, so I'm not an idiot. Its a matter of physics that the ring is an alloy of a heavier metal. I have only been hunting for 2 months, so yes, I am new, but am well aware that silver does turn black.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I found my first white gold ring on 01-11-14. It is marked 14k. It led me back to yesteryear when I had thoughts of how the heck do you make such a yellow metal white. So, 14k white gold is 58.5% gold(yellow!) and 41.5% what exactly?

On that same line, how would any 20k or 22k gold object be white?? I don't get it and would like to further understand.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White gold is made by adding either nickel, palladium, platinum or manganese to yellow gold to color it white. This also hardens it for durability. Additionally a Rhodium coating is applied to white gold to give it that "white" gold look. Im guessing this is what makes 22K, 18K, 9K all look the same even though different alloy compositions are used. Hope that helps.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you need to go online ,to a site with silver hallmarks and you will see what everyone is talking about. I have been doing this for 37 years and I am very good at what I do. I am know all over the World for my metal detecting and Iding rings for people . You can't go by the Density Of a Gold or silver ring because there is other elements in the ring. White Gold has copper ,Gold and Zinc or silver in it .Yellow gold has different % of copper in depending on if you want 9,10,12 14,16 ,18,21,22, or 24 kt of gold .So now you can see why the density of a metal can't help you ID a metal.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it can help determine what it is not. If a ring has a 12.74 density and silver is a 10.5 density, then its not 925 silver even if the stamp says so. Sterling silver is made with 92.5% silver and usually 7.5% copper. This results in a silver with a density of 10.385, which is a far cry from 12.74. Even if silver is alloyed with Platinum, it only results in a silver/platinum alloy with a density of 11.325. Either its not a 925 stamp or its not silver and if it is silver, then its not a silver/copper alloy, it would require a heavier metal like Tungsten, Gold or Platinum which would not be a silver ring.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what the stamp is?
1510440_10202338615859947_1951371848_n.jpg 1525363_10202338616059952_222815309_n.jpg

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it can help determine what it is not. If a ring has a 12.74 density and silver is a 10.5 density, then its not 925 silver even if the stamp says so. Sterling silver is made with 92.5% silver and usually 7.5% copper. This results in a silver with a density of 10.385, which is a far cry from 12.74. Even if silver is alloyed with Platinum, it only results in a silver/platinum alloy with a density of 11.325. Either its not a 925 stamp or its not silver and if it is silver, then its not a silver/copper alloy, it would require a heavier metal like Tungsten, Gold or Platinum which would not be a silver ring.
If you still think they are gold ,here is a simple test. Put them in some bleach for about 30 mins. if they turn Black then they are not gold .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread