Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure others have done this, but the other day I was trying to get an extreme closeup of a half dime I found, with my Canon S-200. Even with the close-up mode chosen, I could only get so close. So I took my BelOMO loupe that I recently purchased on Ebay and put it up to the lense of my camera. When I saw that I had the coin nice and clear, I snapped a shot. It turned out perfectly after a couple of tries. Check out the pics of the half dime on Today's Finds, "Mill site 1853 half dime PIC--this one is for you HALFDIME--UPDATED OBVERSE", a little ways down on the first page. Since my Canon is an older camera, perhaps newer cameras will take a closeup such as this, I don't know. The loupe was a winner for me though and will be used on future find pics. Bryan

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just got this usb digital microscope and thought you might like to see what it can do. the dime is so you can see the corresponding size of the bracelet. next the marking on the bracelet end and finally a makers mark in a friends ring that was double struck. sure takes the strain off from these old eyes. also here is a link on ebay to the same micro scope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=39478&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST

Attachments

• dime & bracelet end.jpg
    dime & bracelet end.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 898
  • mark on fne gold bracelet.jpg
    mark on fne gold bracelet.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 900
  • double strike mark in bobs ring.jpg
    double strike mark in bobs ring.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 898
OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is awesome. What is the name of the microscope? I do not have access to ebay on my work computer, perhaps I can check it out somewhere else. Thanks, Bryan in NC

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
kaptainkosmic said:
just got this usb digital microscope and thought you might like to see what it can do. the dime is so you can see the corresponding size of the bracelet. next the marking on the bracelet end and finally a makers mark in a friends ring that was double struck. sure takes the strain off from these old eyes. also here is a link on ebay to the same micro scope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=39478&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST
Thanks for the site. I ordered the 8 led model. It should be here monday.
I never knew something like that existed

Is there anything you don't like about it? any tips on using?

Thanks.

Ralph

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I just got my USB microscope. I'm learning to use it.
It is amazing the clarity at 200x.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried that method too, but for some reason I always screwed it up. I just found out that the logitech webcam could take some fantastic still pics. This was taken with the webcam.

Attachments

• Picture 9a (Medium).jpg
    Picture 9a (Medium).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 809

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is of use to anyone, this method takes very good closeups of coins with no additional expenses other than your presumed already purchased digital camera. Take a plastic milk carton and cut the bottom of it off evenly. Place your coin on a light colored but not reflective surface and place the carton on it (so you can look through the pour opening and see the coin centered below). Place a bright light outside and directed at the milk carton...the brighter the better. The "milky" nature of the plastic diffuses the light perfectly for taking pictures. Now take the shot with your camera through the spout...the spout is generally just about the right size to hold you lense and is sturdy enough to help hold you steady. Once the pic is on you pc, you will be suprised at the clarity when zoomed in. You might not get it perfect the first time, but I'm sure you will figure out what to do if you have any problems~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions