Nickel Box #4 - First two buffalo nicks, one a 1917 S!

thatoneCRH

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up another box today after work, this box produced my first two buffalo's! I was stoked when the first one came spilling out of the roll, it was a '36 P, that roll was by far my best roll to date, it was capped with a '41 at one end and had a '53 S and a '43 S! Later on in the hunt I hit a looonnngggg dry spell of nothing but modern and those ever so present '64's! I began thinking about if I'd even get anything else when out popped another buffalo! A 1917 S!!! Maybe VG 8 to F12? My best find to date! Also found a '05 where it appears someone had worn off the date and In God We Trust, it looks kinda bald lol I had to do a double take at the coin as I sifted through the roll.

Numbers
-----------
30 '38-59
1 Silver '43 S
1917 S and 1936 P buffalo's
Also found my first '09 after 8,000 nickels.
IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG

Oh and 3 beavers:hello:

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That nice '17S buffalo is a great find. Id agree with u about the condition too...probably VG+/F. That should be worth a few bucks too...maybe around $25-$50 depending on condition. :thumbsup:

And finding a '36 buffalo and '43S in the same roll is great too. And that '05 is very impressive too....I cant see the date at all.....whats the condition of that coin on the reverse?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thatoneCRH

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the '17S can be considered a semi or key date with only 4.2 mil minted?

The '05 reverse is in decent shape but part of the 'm' in america is partially missing, along with the 'eri' in america missing.
photo (1).JPG

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That '17S is definitely a better earlier date and its in nice condition too which is even better. And that '05 looks really impressive to me. I cant see a date at all but its cool that because of the one year obv and rev design that the date can still be confirmed without there even being one, that's pretty cool.

OP
OP
T

thatoneCRH

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with you on the '17S, and in person the '05 date is almost ghost like, it can hardly be seen. It's really neat.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the buffalo. The 2005 is probably struck through grease. I'm looking at it on my phone so pics are too small.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found a few nice different date strike through grease error nickels with a faint last digit on the date and mint mark but finding a 2005 like yours is cool since the design of the date that year is around the rim of the coin so the error affects the whole date as well as the lettering.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions