OP
R

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rpg25 said:
Was very happy with my nickel finds from about 2 to 3 weeks ago, so when I dumped my dimes from yesterday's pickup (that hunt produced 3 silver Rosies and a silver Canadian), I decided to hit a pick up bank for nickels. Lady Luck was with me again... Scored my first Liberty nickel (1910) and a war nickel (1944P).

I should add that I am going to use 100% acetone to try and make the Liberty nickel look a little nicer. I won't be cleaning it per se. Just letting it sit in the acetone and patting dry. No rubbing. I know the drill;)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that it isn't a valuable coin to begin with, you really have nothing to lose cleaning a coin such as this. Even if it comes out looking "cleaned", its not going to be worth any less than what it already is.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
Being that it isn't a valuable coin to begin with, you really have nothing to lose cleaning a coin such as this. Even if it comes out looking "cleaned", its not going to be worth any less than what it already is.

This is true. That being said, why not go all out and give Ms. Liberty some pink hair? :)

OP
OP
R

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:

According to my research, pure acetone doesn't ruin the coins finish. It simply removes any organic material on the coin. Finish will be fine as long as I don't rub it:)

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
such a cool find! is the 1910 nickel silver? if not o well, ts old and hard to find :)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread