Nickel error?

thatoneCRH

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this nickel going through a box, I'm sure it's nothing but anyways it appears to be copper? Comes in a 4 grams, and is noticeably thinner than a regular nickel.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg FullSizeRender (5).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is hard to say that it could be an error! The coin has apparently suffered major rim damage and also the areas adjacent to the rims, so this may account for the loss of weight and thickness. Looks like a product of road rage (i.e. was on a road or parking lot and was continually ran over by cars and trucks) to me but I could be wrong!

Frank

OP
OP
T

thatoneCRH

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to say that it could be an error! The coin has apparently suffered major rim damage and also the areas adjacent to the rims, so this may account for the loss of weight and thickness. Looks like a product of road rage (i.e. was on a road or parking lot and was continually ran over by cars and trucks) to me but I could be wrong!

I thought the same thing at first, but wouldn't the entire coin be worn down? Even a well worn nickel weighs 5 grams.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the same thing at first, but wouldn't the entire coin be worn down? Even a well worn nickel weighs 5 grams.

I still think for the most part that the coin suffered loss due to damage! However, the planchet for the coin could have been thinner than normal and underweight planchet stock and the coin does appear to have a weaker strike than many other Jefferson Nickels which could point to this being the case. Most well worn Nickels weigh less than 5 grams by a few hundredths or tenths of a gram if you are weighing them on a weighing scale that weights coins/items to the nearest tenth or hundredth of a gram instead of the nearest gram.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread