nickel or pull tab

shanko

Dec 6, 2006
Anderson, In.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202
Got out in my backyard the other day, just swwinging around the fire pit to kill some time. When ever the display on my md says nickel its always a pull tab. I dug three pulltabs that registered as nickels. I almost skipped the the fourth nickel signal, but dug anyway, and out comes a 1974 jefferson nickel! That makes my first nickel.
I guess it does pay to dig all signals, especially if you've got the time.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shank, on my classic ID the pulltab/nickel signal is the same. When I first started detecting I would set the machine at the preset for coins. It would discriminate out the pulltabs but also the nickels. The only one I ever found was in a hole that a penny or dime was in. I read a post about "air testing" for nickels and turned the discrimination down to the point that it would pick them up. You will dig pulltabs if you do this. Keep in mind though that you will also pick up the gold rings in this setting. Thats why you see so many posts where people say they dig every signal.

By the way, I still have not scored a gold ring or any gold for that matter.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!!

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Yup, you gotta dig them. They could be a good target. I dig foil not to miss a good target. Happy hunting.
Cyas, Mike in NJ

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Yep, it sucks- but ya gotta dig em!!!! Remember that nickels, tabs, foil and GOLD are all very simliar to detectors. Just think what you may be missing 8)
Greg

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First anything is always an achievement. Mine has nickel/pulltab and pulltab readings. depends upon the targets composition and sometimes it's depth as well. gl

Laater...

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
My Ace picks up small shars of aluminum cans where the mowers run over them in the school yard IN THE 10 CENT RANGE. If I had a dime for everytime it went off yesterday at the school, I would have a bag full of dimes. And pull tabs do tend to hit the nickel range...but when I do hit silver, gold or something other than trash I can sure tell the difference in the tone of the machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the draw backs to having a LCD display too. Many items of like conductivity will sound off. Till a manufacture makes a detector that accurately id's targets we are going to have to dig everything or only "cherry pick."

HH,
Sandman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the first gold ring you dig is going to look like a pulltab too! if you want to find the gold, you have to dig pulltabs and nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread