Nickel Searching. What the heck do I look for?????

tazcodetector

Sep 26, 2005
OK. I got some dime roles at the bank and came up empty handed. I only got 20.00 so maybe I need to buy more at one time. I got 10 rolls of nickels when I turned in the dimes. I have been through a few and I found a 1941 and a ton of 1964's. But what the heck should I look for other than the war silver? I just don't know which nickels to keep for value and which ones are just worth 5 cents. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend keeping all that are 1961 and older. Why? Because the first coin folder/album in the Jefferson Nickel series goes from 1938-1961 and more and more people are becoming collectors every day. 1950-D is worth about $5 or so in just good condition. I wouldn't bother keeping 1964, haha, as there were so many made, over 1 billion at each mint I think.

As for dimes, just get as much as you can. I got $500 today and came up with 5 silvers, one of which was a Mercury, my first ever found in a roll :)

Any more questions? Just fire away... Happy hunting! :)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

It all depends on what you like and what you think something will have some value. Most people look for pre 1964 like all coins. You want to keep any BU coins that are in real good shape. The new nickles are good to collect and like you said the war nickels 1942-1945 mint mark over the dome P or S. Some without the mint mark are also 35% silver but hard to tell without the mint mark. The 64's that are in bad circulated shape are worthless. Any infact that are not in near perfect shape but the war nickles and some other older ones are just face value coins and you should not keep them. Keeping face value coins hurts our government so spend those face value coins and face value dollar coins!

Keep @ it and HH!! ? ? ? ?

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Good job on your 41. Yeah, I keep everything 1959 and older (yet I don't keep 1959 pennies...still weird to me). I've yet to find a silver one, but I haven't done too many nickels...mainly just pennies. I'm visiting a sister in Illinois. I think I'll get some while I'm here. It's been a few days since I've had my fix! :)

OP
OP
T

tazcodetector

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for all your help. I finished up with about 20 more 1964's I did find a 1960 and I think someone on another thread said that was a low mintage year. I think I might try some pennies. I will let you guys know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread