Nickels and Pennies 9/2/11 *********WITH PICTURES*********

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I wasn't going to post this, but I will anyway.
I finished off a box of nickels and pennies I picked up on 8/31, here's what they had:

Pennies: 17 wheats(1 below average) earliest date: 1944, though got a nice RB 1949d, 10 canadian pennies, 1941-2001, the 1941 penny was a reverse ender.
Nickels: above average, up to this point I was averaging 1 silver war nickel per box and 1 buffalo every 3. Here's what I got:

75% through the box and nothing but some pre 1960 coins. I open a roll, a ND buffalo nickel reverse pops out! in the same roll, a 1943p war nickel pops out, never happened to me before, just as I thought I would get skunked. 4th from last roll also produced another 1943-p. Good boxes!!! also contained a 2000 Canada nickel which I average 1 every 2 boxes or so. also managed an AU 1955p nickel, an upgrade to my collection.

The take: 17 wheats 10 canadian pennies, 37 pre 1960 nickels, ND philly buffalo nickel(will nic-a-date sometime next week), and 2!! 1943-p silver wartime nickels.

4 boxes of halves come in next week. Good way to start off September!! though no hole fillers in either my nickel or penny book. Just the 1955p nickel upgrade. HH all!

Also, I found a double-clip nickel, any ideas on value/rarity?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Nickels and Pennies 9/2/11

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 465

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Buffaloboy,
Some real good finds you got there. Keep at it. There will be more.
Congratulations.
rileyboy

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Not really sure about the value of the double-clip, but I do know they are worth a lot more than single clips. I'd personally get a few estimates before I'd sell it, just to make sure you don't get ripped off because some coin shops might buy it for a buck simply as a curiosity when a real error collector might pay many times that.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, and I did not get that 1883 V nickel or that AU buffalo nickel from the box, those are from my personal collection, just testing out quality of my scanner. Though I did recantly just get the double clip in my nickel box yesterday!

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first of all, great finds!
second, is the V nickel WITH CENTS or WITHOUT?
the "with cents" is worth about 3-4 times the value of same grade coin without

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yonico said:
first of all, great finds!
second, is the V nickel WITH CENTS or WITHOUT?
the "with cents" is worth about 3-4 times the value of same grade coin without
with cents, but this was not found in CRH, but bought for my dansco 7070 type set. Also have one without cents in roughly the same grade.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds - and gotta love those '43P's. I got a lucky find yesterday with a '45P from just 5 rolls I bought @ one bank where I was checking for halves - but I only found 1 silver from about $100 in nic's I searched before that.

Also I have to ask - what's nic a date and how do you do it? I've got quite a few nd nic's and nd SL quarters I'd like to date check somehow. I've just never tried it myself.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFace said:
nice finds - and gotta love those '43P's. I got a lucky find yesterday with a '45P from just 5 rolls I bought @ one bank where I was checking for halves - but I only score i silver about $100 in nic's I searched before that.

Also I have to ask - what's nic a date and how do you do it? I've got quite a few nd nic's and nd SL quarters I'd like to date check somehow. I've just never tried it myself.
Nic-A-Date is an acid that eats away slightly at the worn down metal on a nickel if I am correct, someone correct me if I am wrong. When the date gets punched into the nickel, an impression is left below the surface which is what the acid brings up, works quite well. DO NOT USE ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN NICKELS. just had to make this clear, turns silver black and destroys them, same with Cu. hope this helps, any more questions, PM me! :)

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nic-a-Date is a composition containing ferric chloride which dissolves copper (it's also used to etch circuit boards). Nickels are 75% copper, which is why it works.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
SilverFace said:
nice finds - and gotta love those '43P's. I got a lucky find yesterday with a '45P from just 5 rolls I bought @ one bank where I was checking for halves - but I only score i silver about $100 in nic's I searched before that.

Nic-A-Date is an acid that eats away slightly at the worn down metal on a nickel if I am correct, someone correct me if I am wrong. When the date gets punched into the nickel, an impression is left below the surface which is what the acid brings up, works quite well. DO NOT USE ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN NICKELS. just had to make this clear, turns silver black and destroys them, same with Cu. hope this helps, any more questions, PM me! :)

is it available on online coin sites? I've got some nd buffaloes I've been wanting to acid date check but I've just never done it before. Is there anyway to do something like this with nd SL quarters? Thanks

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFace said:
BuffaloBoy said:
SilverFace said:

is it available on online coin sites? I've got some nd buffaloes I've been wanting to acid date check but I've just never done it before. Is there anyway to do something like this with nd SL quarters? Thanks

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/nic-a-date.html :icon_thumleft:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
K said:
SilverFace said:
BuffaloBoy said:
SilverFace said:

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/nic-a-date.html :icon_thumleft:

ok thanks. Does it work well? I'm going to give it a try. I'm sure you all know about the 1913 T1 & 2 varieties. I've got a couple of nd's with raised mounds so I know they are the 1913 T1 variety. Same with the SL quarters - I've got a couple of nd's of those without stars on the rev. so I know they are 1916's.

keep on searchn'

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that your double clip may have some value to it, as it is a newer coin. I took a single-clipped dime and a single-clipped nickel to my local coin shop and he wasn't very interested in them, because they were from the '70s. He said that the mints had upgraded their equipment at some time (can't recall when he said that it was), which reduced the number of clips coming from the mints, so recent years had more value. Nice find.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread