Nickels hard to find?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, nickels are just plain harder to detect. I've dug dimes deeper than nickels and around here the best I've done is just over 8" on nickels. Still waiting on that shield nickel to show up but I can tell you the two best buffs I got were the deepest at 8+ inches, they were also the only two buffs I've got that read nickel consistently. Al my shallower buffs fell into the foil range. This has been the case on all three Fisher CZ models I have used. I can tell you I can hit those spots where others have cherry picked and dig Jeffersons all day long. The CZ's really like Jeff's and can pick 'em out of a crowd easily.

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Thanks Free....I was beginning to wonder. I get a low reading on silver dollars as well. I thought that a coin that size would give me a loud clear tone.

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
It took awhile but I have been finding plenty of nickles with MXT. After trial and error if my detector fluctuates between 18 and 20 theres about 80% chance its a nickle.

bigrig

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find coins perplexing. The other day I found a clad quarter about 4" deep. The tone was very low and deep and I barely picked it up. According to the manual my machine should give a sharp high tone on coins. I found out my detector was not working right! Now to try it again when my new, new detector gets in. JIM

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
jimmileo said:
I find coins perplexing. The other day I found a clad quarter about 4" deep. The tone was very low and deep and I barely picked it up. According to the manual my machine should give a sharp high tone on coins. I found out my detector was not working right! Now to try it again when my new, new detector gets in. JIM

Are you sure that there wasnt somthing under the clad quater that was deeper?

C

czman

I use a older cz5 and find nickles...disc is set to 1 and I dig most all signals...each machine is a little different so use it and learn what it is telling you...HH...Don

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free Is right on.. ?with her comment on Nickels. The Numbers Drop As the Nickels Get Older. also I have gotten Silver at Cantab readings once in awhile and there is nothing rong with my machine. and nothing else in the ground to counteract the signal, with the exception of maby ground condition. once I remove them from the ground and retest them, they give the correct signal.

upier

Jan 6, 2005
if you avoid digging the pull tab range odds are you are skipping over the nickels.
with my mxt Ive done far better with nickels then with the 202 Bh i was using
but they seem to range in the 22 level range a solid 18 on my machine every did to date is a pull tab
so dig it all and your nickel count should go up .. then again maybe people have lost less nickels in your area ???

O

ol ploock

Nickels are hard to find!...I'll agree with that. :)

Today...everything was hard to find!! ;D

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Wouldn't it be nice if you could collect a nickel for every pull tab? In Oregon, you get a nickel for a can, but unfortunatly, the tab is not required to get the nickel. DRATS!!!! Spotz

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Woohoo....I knew there had to be a nickel out there somewhere, I finally pulled one out of the lot I had been detecting in. I dig all those nickel signals because that's where gold tones in at on mine, well at least it does on a bench test. How about those war nickels....are they silver?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread