nickles

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
The mint marks on the back are older,but not any more rare,per se.Don't know why they switched,but it might have to with the great de-silver-ing of US coinage.The 's' mint mark doesn't mean proof in most cases.In fact,I think the earlier proofs were made in Philly.
Some people believe that nickels are the next big thing in coin collecting,with the design changes in recent years.
I save all my older nickels.I still find some dating back to the 40's occasionally,in change.Can't say that about dimes or quarters anymore!
Hope I answered your question. Paleo

OP
OP
T

Tavis

Feb 6, 2008
Yeah, seems to make sense. You say that the older proofs were made in Philly? Damn it, I got all excited when I saw that S, I was hoping for a proof, even if it doesn't look anywhere near proof now.

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels for circulation were struck at San Francisco before 1956 and from 1968-1970. An S-mintmarked nickel from those years is probably not a proof. Any 'S' nickel since 1971 is most likely to be a proof.

The mintmark appears on the back of Jefferson nickels 1938-1964, to the right of Monticello on the reverse. No nickels made in 1965-1967 have mintmarks. Nickels made 1968-present have the mintmark on the obverse below the date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions