Nifc coins, i dont get it

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are nifc why do I find so many in circulation?

Some people think they will be worth money in the future because the mintages are low on them. Most post 2002 or 2001 whatever it is that are non silver have a mintage of 1.5-3 million. There are old walkers that have mintages of 1-1.5 million that are worth spot, same as a walker with 30 million minted. So how is a coin that 75 years newer and not a pm going to hold any kind of numismatic value, especially with around 10 years with of low minting?

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
you be right dawg, we need to petition the mint to stop minting them homeslice.

A dumb tella told me they couldn't order me halves cause they don't mint them anymore. I'm sure we could make that true.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , I tried to put this topic to bed a couple of years ago , I'll repeat what I've said before - if you really want to test the "value" of non-silver NIFC's walk them
into your friendly neighborhood coin store -TRY to get one cent more than face value for them !!! Nuff said !!!

Doesn't sound like a very proven theory to me. :cat:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't sound like a very proven theory to me. :cat:

Ya sounds like jamesandsons used his head & found a way to make a nice profit. You don't even have to look at all the dates to find them, either. While edge checking, take a quick peek at the coins with really shiny edges - those are a lot of times the NIFCs. Save them til you get a full set & sell them like he did. Nice work!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya sounds like jamesandsons used his head & found a way to make a nice profit. You don't even have to look at all the dates to find them, either. While edge checking, take a quick peek at the coins with really shiny edges - those are a lot of times the NIFCs. Save them til you get a full set & sell them like he did. Nice work!

You are right, although I don't like NIFCs there is money to be made with them. I traded my $1000 collection of NIFC halves to 1more4me's 50 State S-mint quarter collection. He sent me a heads-up about how the NIFCs are selling like hotcakes on ebay.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an awesome thread. Everyone: please, please, please start keeping all of the NIFC's you find. Also, please keep all of the 1971-2001 kennedy halves that are in at least decent condition. I think this is definitely what the hobby needs. Tons of hunters keeping all of the clad that they can find.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended at $30, which was my original buy-it-now price. Way better than I expected. It was definitely worth it to save up the whole set and list them that way.

Interesting, but not surprising. I once saw a quart-sized ziploc bag of genuine unsearched Arkansas dirt sell on ebay.

The real question is, could you sell 100 sets at this price? 1000? 10,000? Could everyone on this forum save every NIFC we find, list them on ebay and clear 2.5X+ face for every single one of them? I don't think so. There are NIFC buyers out there, but I believe its a very limited market in which supply would overwhelm demand VERY quickly if more people were selling NIFC halves.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended at $30, which was my original buy-it-now price. Way better than I expected. It was definitely worth it to save up the whole set and list them that way.

3X face? Almost as good as a 40% at spot- now I know we'd all prefer the ag and youre not always gonna get that price but goes to show one mans dump will be anothers profit
Nice job

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, but not surprising. I once saw a quart-sized ziploc bag of genuine unsearched Arkansas dirt sell on ebay.

The real question is, could you sell 100 sets at this price? 1000? 10,000? Could everyone on this forum save every NIFC we find, list them on ebay and clear 2.5X+ face for every single one of them? I don't think so. There are NIFC buyers out there, but I believe its a very limited market in which supply would overwhelm demand VERY quickly if more people were selling NIFC halves.

Good point. The rest of you who throw them back, keep doing so. I'll keep saving and selling them in small, homemade artisinal batches, at a nice profit. Stay out of my market, so the price doesn't go down!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My post was directed towards Argentium.

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
Ok , I tried to put this topic to bed a couple of years ago , I'll repeat what I've said before - if you really want to test the "value" of non-silver NIFC's walk them
into your friendly neighborhood coin store -TRY to get one cent more than face value for them !!! Nuff said !!!

BAH..The same LCS will also give a little old lady 3x on her silver.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly, you have to sell the whole set in great condition on ebay to get a premium

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never once said that you couldn't sell non- silver "NIFC"'s What I said was if you wanted a true test of their VALUE - you take them to the "sharks" not
the suckers ! I'm perfectly aware that you can sell an image of Christ that you see on a tortilla - on e-bay ! At least if you are going to quote me ,
have an understanding of my meaning , especially if you disagree with the point I'm trying to make .

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to recant everything I have said in this thread. I am sorry. Today I found an NIFC and I am keeping it. It might be the coolest coin I have found since I started this hobby. It's a 2008 NIFC S proof SILVER:

2008.jpg

The rim was so shiny that I actually thought it was a dumper's silver rim mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread