NIFC halves - How many should I keep and what do I do with them?

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I've been saving all of the NIFC halves I have been finding and now I am getting quite a collection of them. What do I do with them? Who would buy them for more than 50 cents each? Most all of the NIFC halves I have are 2002-2007 P & D mint marks and just a few 1987 P & D (and one S). Unless there is a good market for them are they really worth saving if I have a bunch of them? What does everyone else do?

How about 1982P no FG and 1974D ddo? What have people done with those? My collection is growing, albeit not as fast as the NIFC but I am collecting a few of these types of coins too.

Just curious.

Upvote 0

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I just kept one of each for the heck of it. I don't really see a market for them....not in my life time. :icon_jokercolor:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Or you could keep a cherry picked roll of each and toss the rest back. If you try and sell them on eBay and you'll probably regret the time and effort to make a couple of bucks off a roll. Unless you know a coin dealer that will buy them at a premium? Good luck........

Mojo

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, I'm accumulating a full roll of each. After that they get tossed back. 2005's are already done.

Here's my roll totals so far:

1987-P - 1
1987-D - zero (1 in my book)
2002-P - 11
2002-D - 15
2003-P - 15
2003-D - 15
2004-P - 7
2004-D - 14
2005-P - 20 (complete)
2005-D - 20 (complete)
2006-P - zero (1 in my book)
2006-D - zero (have yet to find one)
2007-P - zero (1 in my book)
2007-D - zero (have yet to find one)
2008-P - zero (have yet to find one)
2008-D - zero (have yet to find one)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm saving everyone I come across and passing them down to my grandchildren who will hopefully pass them down to their kids. Who knows what they will be worth in 100 years from now due to their low mintage.

One thing is for sure............at minimum they will be worth 50 cents......ha!

If you can afford to save them.....why not? Sure can't lose.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ said:
I'm saving everyone I come across and passing them down to my grandchildren who will hopefully pass them down to their kids. Who knows what they will be worth in 100 years from now due to their low mintage.

One thing is for sure............at minimum they will be worth 50 cents......ha!

LJ...?

What if you found Thousands of them? Like I'm finding. Can't tie up that much capitol???

Mojo

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some checking around at coin shops. I found a total of 6 rolls in one box a few weeks ago. One local coin dealer said spend them. I called another & he was a buyer at $ 16.00 per roll. He may have had a collector to sell them to because he has a huge network. The reason didnt matter to me, I was happy to sell. Thirtysix dollars profit, for coins that werent even silver. I'll take it. Ron

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If they are in really good shape I say keep them. The mint has sold them at a premium over face for years. You can always spend them if you cannot make a profit later. I keep them because when I get a skunk box and it has a NIFC, I don't feel so bad about not finding silver.

Jim

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
LJ said:

LJ...?

What if you found Thousands of them? Like I'm finding. Can't tie up that much capitol???

Mojo

I only have about $150-$200 tied up in NIFC's so it isn't bad. Now if I were to find thousands (note that is plural) like you are then I probably would shop for a market for them & if I couldn't find one....just not keep them all.

Do you literally mean you are finding thousands of these NIFC's Mojo?

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep the best one of each mint and toss the rest. My capitol is very limited now, so I just can't afford to hold them.

Plus, it gives everyone else a "keeper" when they have a bad run. But the bank I got all my boxes from is only ordering coins like once a month at best.

Plus my road trip in New Orleans came up blank. None of the banks I could walk to in the French Quarter had halves. So maybe I won't even be able to be in the game much longer.

HH

OP
OP
Ifyndit

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Thanks for all of the replies and good ideas! I'll shop around at different coin dealers and see if I can sell them by the roll. If not, I'll probably keep a roll of each year and mint mark. That is only $120 not including the years 1987 and 2008. Worse case scenario is I haven't lost any $$ and I still have $120 in halves!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ said:
LJ...?

Mojo

I only have about $150-$200 tied up in NIFC's so it isn't bad. Now if I were to find thousands (note that is plural) like you are then I probably would shop for a market for them & if I couldn't find one....just not keep them all.

Do you literally mean you are finding thousands of these NIFC's Mojo?

[/quote]

All right you got me.....Hundreds than.... I went through a spell in Feb. where the boxes were loaded with them. I cherry Picked a couple of rolls of each Year and mint mark mostly 2003 thru 2006.
I just compleated a roll of 2007P&D in the last month.
I'm only a couple short on the 87's though to complete rolls of them. I probably have a couple hundred dollars tied up on the NIFC's And around $200 in Proof Coins & oddities Cash is in a limited supply around my house.

I should shop them around though, I would be happy to take $16 a roll like Trezurehunter said he got.

I have thrown a couple hundred back though at this point. a lot of them get the wrapping machine scratches or CRH Marks on them, and in all I'm pretty sure I have seen at least a thousand of em. I've been at it pretty heavy for three years now.

Thanks for keeping me honest LJ. :icon_sunny:

Mojo

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am keeping them for now and figuring after I get a roll each year/mint that maybe I can use the rest for trading either at a coin show or with other collectors if they aren't worth more than 50 cents.

I am only missing 1970-D (1), 1987-P (2), 1987-D (1), 2004-D(17), 2006-P(3), 2006-D(2), and have 0 from 2007 on to get a roll of each. The number listed is the number I have for my roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread