NIFC

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
i've read where some of you guys advocate tossing NIFC's back into the wild. i've got enough to make complete rolls of everything from '02's to '07's. here's the thing...

while bank-hoppin' i stumbled across a couple of blue mint rolls of '04's, one P mm and one D mm. while the coins on each end of each roll have contact marks i'm pretty sure the coins in the middle are pristine which could mean that i have some that are MS 60+, which means that they may be worth a tad more than fiddycent.

whatchoo guys think? any ideas? opinions?

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Blue mint rolls are good finds! Never ran across them myself at a bank.

They sell well unopened. So you can put them on ebay if you want quick money. Or you can hold on to them and keep them as part of your own collection/investment for the future. =)

Like you said, there could be some MS65 or something in there if you get lucky, but grading costs a pretty penny and probably isn't worth getting them graded.

Always your call though.

~Dave

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I'd keep them (and congratulate myself for finding them)! They may not be worth a ton of $$$, but they'd be neat conversation pieces!

Congratulations on the find!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey fiddy, I just sold a couple of blue mint rolls from the same year on ebay. You can stand to gain a good 15-20 dollars over what you paid for them. It is a good quick profit if you are not interested in holding on to them. For me I am more interested in silver which I think stands more chance of increasing in value. Selling the mint rolls was a way to make some money to buy more silver. Good luck.

-Golden Silver

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fiddy....again, I just love that name.....ha! If your not in a bind for money.....hang on to them. I am quite sure they will only increase in value over time. That was a very good find too by the way.

The regular circulated NIFC's, personally, I have kept every circulated NIFC coin I have come across. I don't think I will ever benefit from them. I plan to pass them along to kids...grandchildren....great grandchildren and so on.....maybe they will benefit one day in years to come.

Anyway.....nice pickup Fiddy!! Keep em coming.............

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Good work! The only such NIFC rolls I have come across is some Sacagawea rolls. I was really excited at first, but the coins were very stained inside. :( Hope the condition of your rolls looks a bit better and hence the coins inside are pristine.

Brian

Attachments

• rolls.JPG
    rolls.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 236

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm glad this came up.....hit a bank in town for some halfs and the guy says "why don't you try the mint?".....i was only a couple blocks away but parking is horrendous in center city Phila.....can you get rolls of halfs at the mint? would they be full rolls of same date coins or can you get mixed rolls? would they charge a premium for uncirculated rolls of silver ? and if they do have them how come others don't go there for coins or do they? (collectors, coin dealers,etc)

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
mistergee --- check out the mint's website. I believe what they sell there is what they'd have at the gift shop.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
hey their,

Yes you can buy directly from the mint. The thing is is that they charge a premium, usually about two times face. Also you can only get solid year coins, and usually just the most current.
For example right now they have 2008 & 2001 Kennedy Halves (2 roll set) for $32.95. You can also buy bags. The only way to get the new kennedy halves is thru the Mint as they are not circulated now. Unless you are a CRH and find one that someone spent, which is crazy because they didn't spend $0.50 for it. But anyways you still might want to stop in the Mint if you live that close to it, it is an amazing place.

Jason

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LJ said:
Hey Fiddy....again, I just love that name.....ha! If your not in a bind for money.....hang on to them. I am quite sure they will only increase in value over time. That was a very good find too by the way.

The regular circulated NIFC's, personally, I have kept every circulated NIFC coin I have come across. I don't think I will ever benefit from them. I plan to pass them along to kids...grandchildren....great grandchildren and so on.....maybe they will benefit one day in years to come.

Anyway.....nice pickup Fiddy!! Keep em coming.............

I agree with LJ....if you can..hold on to them...they have fairly low mintages..so hopefully they will be
worth more in the future...We are just seeing more of them because they are newer coins, where as
the 1987 (which is another low mintage) shows up in circulation once in awhile and has increased in value
over the years.....
Joe

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Yes you can buy directly from the mint. The thing is is that they charge a premium
i figured that ....after all they are in it to make a profit...i thought maybe they might still have old stuff around....but then everyone and thier mother would have been there already ;D i went there on a class trip but that was so long ago...probably in grade school which was the sixtys....

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
Yes you can buy directly from the mint. The thing is is that they charge a premium
i figured that ....after all they are in it to make a profit...i thought maybe they might still have old stuff around....but then everyone and thier mother would have been there already ;D i went there on a class trip but that was so long ago...probably in grade school which was the sixtys....
[/quote]

That always annoys me anyways, them making a profit over face. They already make enough seniorage off of the clad compositions anyways. Greedy bastards! :-[

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread