NIFCs not worth keeping? Try buying one!

shroompics

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Sunriver, OR
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NIFC's not worth keeping? Try buying one!

After searching ~$6000 in halves and not finding any 1987P or D halves, I went to our local (and only) coin shop and picked up P and D's to fill the last two holes in my album. They cost $4.50 each. Granted, they look AU or better, but WOW! I also picked up an 'S' and it was $7.50. (Please, no wise-cracks about a 'Sucker born every minute'. ) Of course, within two weeks, I found two 1987's in my searches. My point is, I don't see how NIFC's cannot eventually rise in value when the amount of minting was so low, even though they are clads.

P.S. Compare the minting volumes for the NIFC's 2002-2009 to previous volumes here...US Mint Circulating Coin Production: 1999-2011 | Coin News

Your thoughts?

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
For some strange reason, with mint sets and proof sets the part is worth more than the whole. On eBay you can buy a 1987 mint set (both P and D mints still sealed in government packaging) for under $8. And you can get a 1987 proof set for under $7 on eBay, also still sealed in packaging.

The reason why I don't think that NIFCs are going to increase in value is because:

1) Low demand
2) High supply

Coin shops can hardly give away proof sets anymore! I've read reports of people trying to sell them and a coin shop will give less than the value of the coins in them! Meaning that it would be better for them to crack open their set and spend them than sell it to a coin dealer.

Since the coins in mint sets and proof sets are 90% of the time pristine, there really doesn't seem to be any real reason why someone would want my banged up 1987 proof I found in a roll for $1, when they could buy the entire set in perfect condition for only a few bucks.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got it backward - to see if a coin is desirable , you don't pitch it to the public - (largely ignorant about coins)
you pitch it to the sharks ! Ask them what they will buy it for - in circulated condition ! a coin with mintages in
the 2- 3 MILLIONS !!! and containing ZERO, ZIP, NADA precious metals . Come back in a hundred years , you
might get two bucks for it . I have said this repeatedly on this site - and obviously I'm not done yet - NON - silver
"nifc's" are a sham - I don't know who started this BS - but I aim to bury it . Argentium.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ratio of "supply and demand" determines the value. If there is only 2 pieces item A in this whole world but only 1 person want to collect one item A, item A would never rise in price. But if there are 20 people want one each of item A, then A's price would skyrocket. Yes, there are only about 2 million of 87 p and d JFK halves, but there are only 1 million (my guess) JFK half set builders in this world.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No reason to feel bad, it took me over a year to get a full set of 1987p, 1987d, and of course, the 1987-S from circulaton.
I find it that I am about a 1:1 ratio of 1987 p/d coin to the 1987-S proof.

HH,
Buff

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Where as those that dont like NIFC have a point you are undeniable proof that they may be worth something. In the future if there are more people like you they will be worth more and if there are less people like you they will be worth less possible even worthless. These are the age old rules of supply and demand that have never changed since there has been commerce. These are also the rules will eventually overcome the silver price manipulation as long as the use and desire of silver out paces the supply.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I have 2 1987 Ps and 2 1987 Ds, condition AU. I found them together with a bunch of AU cooper nickel clad (someone's dumped collection). I will glady offer a set of 1987 P&D AU kennedy half dollars for $8, free shipping!! PM me...

Supply and Demand,
The mint has been putting out a lot of coin over the last ten years
1) four 2009 pennies
2) 2 nickels in 2004 and 2005
3) 5 per yr x $1 coins 2007-present
4) 5-6 per yr quarters 1999-present
5) Both regular and silver proof sets 1992- present
6) half dollar, dollar and five dollar commerative coins

There are a lot of different coins to be interested in. Collector interest has been diluted.

If you weren't searching for silver halves would you bother buying boxes to look for clad proofs and NIFCs?

For those holding on to a lot of NIFCs, put a few up on Ebay and see what you get. The marketplace determines the price.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only clad coin that I hang onto is a Cameo Proof coin. When I get a couple sheets I want to take them to a local auction house an see what happens. After that it can be decided to keep saving them or release them back to the wild when found.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Do what you like. There is no wrong way to do this hobby (other than breaking the rules of etiquette).

If you feel like a low mintage (relatively speaking) coin in low grade condition is worth keeping, keep it. It is always an option to set it free sometime in the future. Don't plan on making big money off of NIFCs though, you'll end up disappointed. There's a reason why you find so many of them in MWRs.

I keep them only because I like to give them out to kids whose birth year is that date. I keep some at work and in my car. I've given them to co-workers' kids on "bring your child to work day." I've given them to my daughters' friends and soccer team mates. I keep most of what I find for that reason only.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool to see people's eyes light up, especially the younger generation, when you hand them a sparkly half. I dropped about $6 worth at Jimmy Johns a couple of weeks ago and the teenager cashier counted them as $1. I had to tell her what they were and how much they were worth, and yes they were legal US currency. I sat for a couple of minutes in the car with my wife watching the cashier and the similarly aged sub maker boy marvel at the coins. So the lesson here is, do whatever you like with them. Keep them, set them free - odds are someone will eventually grab them and stash them away and tell a story about how they got them.

On a different note, I LOVE finding proofs in my boxes. I have only found about 8 through my searches, but the proof coin is really appealing to me, and I keep all that I find. I know that the proof's value is tied solely to the fact that they are uncirculated, but there is something about them that really grabs me.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not buy any lot off of people, you can go to a local coin auction and pick up mint sets for $4-5 each, and that includes P&D
Of course area also is a factor on price, as well as supply and demand. 1987 mint set may go up fr $6, but I've never seen them go above $8... plus you get the other coins in the set as well :)
HH
Buff

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been saving all my cameo proofs that are in nice condition since I started. I probably have 20-30 87's of varying mint marks. I am only hanging on to my cameo collection until I have time to pick out the best ones to go in my Dansco. I may try to sell the rest on fleabay by decade lots or something. Eventually i'll send them back in the wild or give them to my nephew, who knows, but for now a couple hundred of them is no big deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread