Night Beach Hunting

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I used to do a whole lot of night hunting on my local beaches(So. Maine). The main reason I started night hunting was because of the fact that the wintertime was by far the best time to be there. I got started using a headlamp, but soon found out that it was more of a pain than it was worth. After spending many an hour using your detector, you should be able to locate and recover items in total darkness. Some may try to use there eyes more than they should, and this can often make it harder to recover targets. Let your detector do what it is good at. Of course, in this day and age, I think that I would take a pinpointer with me on night hunts. After all, it is a detector, and a more specialized one at that.

When I get a reading, I take a shovel full of dirt and pick it up, then scan the hole. If I get no signal, I shake the dirt off the shovel, spreading it out as I go. Locate the object with your unit or pinpointer(If you haven't spotted it already). You might have better luck using a screened scoop if you are in soft sand.

Pay more attention to what is around you if you hunt at night. I once had a obviously rabid dog come at me once, and I quickly got some distance between us, It took about a 1/4 mile of walking to finally shake him. During this episode, I walked past what I had originally thought was a big section of log. I yelled to my buddy to watch out for the dog, when all of a sudden, the "log" began to move. Turns out it was a couple in a sleeping bag. I quickly explained about the dog, and that they had better just cover back up and stay still. They did!

I would most likely not hunt alone nowadays!

Hope this helps a little!.......Good luck!...........HNH

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
When doing anything in the dark, your eyes become accustomed to the dark and you can see things pretty well sometimes (from my coon hunting days). As soon as you turn on a flashlight, you become "light blind." Meaning that when you turn the light off, it takes a fairly long time to get used to the dark again (see the Mythbuster's episode on the real use of a pirate's patch). If you want to use a light of some type to illuminate the area, your machine, etc. pick up a flashlight with a red filter. Your eyes do not respond to this wavelength and your "night vision" will be the same when you turn the light off as when you turned it on.

From my days in the observatory.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread