• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 98

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice pic! I caught one of those, years ago, when it got tangled in my flyline...LOL. They have a HUGE mouth, so they can scoop up flying insects.
Jim

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Very nice pic! I caught one of those, years ago, when it got tangled in my flyline...LOL. They have a HUGE mouth, so they can scoop up flying insects.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I knew they had a small beak, but I guess they can open their mouth wide. I like having them around where I live. I have tons of skeeters, and these birds spend a lot of time eating them.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim, I knew they had a small beak, but I guess they can open their mouth wide. I like having them around where I live. I have tons of skeeters, and these birds spend a lot of time eating them.
Ron, it's like the whole front of their face opens-up...sorta like a C-133 loading-up...LOL We get them here, but only when they migrate through, and then only for a couple of days. Mostly the barn swallows get our insects.
Jim

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Picture! :icon_thumleft: I actually got one once, it must been exhausted but it later flew off. But what I wanted to say was that their plumage shows a much larger body than what is under their feathers. Looks are deceiving.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I once surprise one of these out in the desert sitting on a couple of egg's. There was no nest, just a couple of egg's on the gravel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread