Night Hunt!

coindiger

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tejon, Minelab Sov. GT
Not sure if any of you have ever tried hunting at night or not. My Whites XLT has a backlight that allows me to do so, along with a flashlight too. Well, last night was a great night to be out, just before halloween, cold crisp air and had a couple finds. (just clad though) It was just cold enough I could see my breath, kinda neat if ya think about it. On a "treasure hunt", at night, late october and seeing your breath in the glow of the flashlight, not knowing what you might find. I think it makes it more exciting!

Also, I think it is neat to see the coin still half in the dirt. Or when you pull off some of the dirt, and see the impression that the coin has made from the soil being compacted around it.

Attachments

• P1010056.jpg
    P1010056.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Thats good practice. When you try to get permission to hunt CW area homes where people have been hounded you can always suggest hunting at night so you are not observed and have a better chance of getting into a good location that would otherwise be unreachable.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Great work. I have been lazy about a great oportunity. There is a small old town about a hundred miles from here that has about six blocks of streets & sidewalks torn out for a new sewer project. Buildings are all old stone & bare to the foundations. It's in the mountains & it is also a close old community. Don't know just how receptive they would be if I show up to detect. Been going to call the City HAll & check but time has not been right for me to go yet. Gonna snow & freez there soon if not already.
Spotz

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never Had Reason To night Hunt, Or Intrest.

Plus This Time Of year, I'd Probably Freeze Solid. ;D

GOTTA ADMIRE YOUR DEDICATION THO :)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal,

I like "night hunting" in the warmer season myself,,

I do a lot of beach hunting at night.. Also, there's an old middle school (built 1909) that I hunt at night next to a friend of mines house,, it's cool because you can hunt at leisure, and I find a lot of good stuff!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
I'm with lonewolf on beach hunting at night. i like to remain anonymous and at night people pay much less attention to you. its also a lot cooler and more comfortable.

W

whites6000inPa

Since my heart attacks....I can't stand the humidity, so I am going to gear up to hunt at night next summer...as a matter of survival.

Wyatt

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like night hunting.
With the short days, work hours and winter coming on, thats about the only option for me.
Only thing I bring different is one of those bright LED headlamps.
A word of caution - Beware of clocking your head on monkey bars at night if detecting woodchip playgrounds at night.
I've done it twice, and it hurts.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
I like night hunting.
With the short days, work hours and winter coming on, thats about the only option for me.
Only thing I bring different is one of those bright LED headlamps.
A word of caution - Beware of clocking your head on monkey bars at night if detecting woodchip playgrounds at night.
I've done it twice, and it hurts.

LOL!

I use one of the head-lamps too, they're great for the beach/water hunts especially because you can't carry a flashlight with you in the water!

HH

Lonewolfe

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Ahhhh, finally a sensible answer to my complaining about how short the days are and how fast night falls after work! Thanks!

HH, ya'll

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
A night hunt sounds like a great idea. I'd better hurry though, running out of season.... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread