Night hunting?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
some MD's like the DFX have a back light on the screen, which makes it easier to see. I also picked up a small hunter's light, which is basically 1 LED light on a flexible wand with a battery/clip switch. I can clip it to my hat or my shirt and I can turn it on and off when I need it
As far as hunting goes, I sometimes hunt at night, I just hunt in public places, where I won't bothered.
I don't need Barney Fife pulling a 9 on me because he doesn't have anything else to do, but that may still happen. Hunt when you can, just be smart about where you hunt after dark, don't hunt in the bad parts, stay in well lighted areas, in view of traveled streets or businesses that are open JMO

Sniffer

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
The best night hunting I have ever experienced was demo sites and where old side walks were being replaced. Any machines I used did not have a light display and I did not use a flash light of any sort. Simply put I did not have enough hands for carrying extra stuff. A muti-tone machine was a good replacement for a light. Just use your ears to determine what to dig. Night time activities due to work schudele are understandable. Also this time is better during the hot summer months. From personal experience it is very relaxing. These types of sites also are better for not leaving holes where grass will die such as in a city park. The two sites I metioned there is no grass, you just use your foot to push the dirt back into the hole.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hunt at night sometimes mainly for the different experience, like fishing at night. Now days you may need to carry a Glock to add to your equipement. Still some areas are safer than others. I've had police check on me and they thought I was looking for nightcrawlers.

OP
OP
K

knfmn

Greenie
Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax
I went and hunted a reservoir near my house this morning since I was already up. I had a great time. I don't really need a light with my machine (Tesoro Silver Umax), so I just get out there and listen for the beeps. I've been thinking about getting one of those "hands free" lights that strap to your head so I can see what I'm doing a little better. I don't expect to find much in the dark, but just like the relaxation.

Kristopher

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
I've tried it and it's quite peaceful but I'm on the lookout for rattlers,you may want to invest in chaps or boots especially in growed up areas,I got a bracket off a broom/dust pan combo that works well for my maglite " and it shines directly to the center of my coil "check it out" Need to start selling these!!

Attachments

• pc1 003.jpg
    pc1 003.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 211

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Well rattlesnakes is a different matter all togather, this is the first mention of a justifible reason for a light in my view. They do love to go hunting at night.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to night hunt when I combine camping with detecting. My EXP II has a nice back light. I also use a 4 LED light that clips on my hat. The only problem that I have found is trying to dig a deeper target, over 3 ". I get a kick out of night hunting. The first time I did a night hunt, 4 of us were hunting from about 9 PM till after Midnight.

Ed D.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have never nigh hunted before, but have thought about it. There is an item called the Finger Light that you could velcro to the lower pole on your machine so that it lights up the area of your swing. They range in prices from really cheap to expensive: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=finger+light&gbv=2
Might be something that would be useful for night hunting.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I night hunt on a weekly basis. I have a few tips or pieces of advice

1. Buy a GOOD headlight. I went through 3 cheapos before setling on the one I now use.
2. Carry something for protection, if you don't feel comfortable with a gun or can't carry one a nice heavy shovel can be used to defend yourself.
3. Always let someone know where you're hunting, and when you'll be back
4. Carry ID. I know this sounds like a DUH but a few times I have gone and forgot my ID. It is very difficult to explain to a LEO why you are out after dark and not carrying an ID sometimes.
5. When possible go with a buddy or take someone with you
6. Watch out for animals! I had a big dog scare me the other night, got almost right up to me before he started barking and carrying on.

I'm sure there are a lot more I could list but this should get you started.

Since hunting at night I have had the police called on me three times. They always just check out what I'm doin and go on their way. It is cooler after dark in the summer so we go a lot in the evening when it gets dark. Also you can really concentrate on what you're doing because you don't get distracted by a bunch of stuff around you.

Some of my best finds have come while night hunting.

Good luck. If you need any more info I would be happy to provide it.... HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I do most of my hunting at night nowadays. In Old-town urban demolitions for example, it's about the only way you can. You simply can' be out there during the time that workers are working (d/t you'd be in their way, be a sore-thumb, etc...) so after 5 or 6pm is the only time to start. And for parks and schools, etc.... there's less busy-bodies to bug you, take offense, etc... Out of site is out of mind. So peaceful! ;D

My suggestion is NOT to use a light of any kind. Not even a back-light on your detector display. Your eyes will.... after a few minutes ..... adjust to the dark well enough to see your way around. You can always turn on a small flashlight to read the date on a coin or whatever. The reason not to use a head-lamp or display light, is that your eyes will become focused on THAT. Ie.: just the beam of light. Pretty soon, you will become blind as a bat to anything outside that beam. There is usually enough star and moon-light to see well enough without it. So unless I'm scuttling under a pitchblack building, I don't use lights unless I'm looking at a find.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I just bought a new RAYOVAC light from a local battery shop. It is a 3 WATT LED headlight. Very bright.

I bought my previous, a 1 watt by Coast at Lowes for $35 but our local store has them on sale for $24.00

Wal-Mart here carries a wide variety. Don't make the mistake I did and buy the cheap one first, as I stated I have gone through 3 to get where I'm at now. $20 should get you a good one.

I understand all the points made about not using a light, but I won't hunt without one because I want to see things around me and it looks more suspicous if you are walking around without any light. For beach hunting it would probably be ok but I don't know about wood and field hunting without a light.

this is the coast light:

http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/product_info.php/products_id/50

this is the newest one and my favorite

http://www.drillspot.com/products/397174/Rayovac_LUX3AAHDLT_Hands_Free_Headlight

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread