Nine Years NO MORE!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. To those who actually follow my peculiar behavior and hunting, prepare for a turn and twist in the road. As ya'll know I have been kicking up dust in a cornfield permission across from my workplace. Gradually improving my finds as I continue to haul out mass quantities of iron and can slaw. It's probably been four years or more since I first stepped foot onto this high patch of ground and until this year my best coins were a silver GW quarter and a very early Lincoln wheatie, 1909 or 10 maybe. I had a breakthrough day yesterday with the two Indians, ring, and rhinestone broach. So I reckon the correct plan of action is head back there today.

I showed up a bit past noon and decided I would attempt to grid this field. All other hunts have been random roaming. I figured I try to work the first row north & south down the slopes a bit and turn around and catch the next few rows going back up. Scored my first cool and old little brass pin find with the basket of fruit on the front. Got a bit excited for that little jewel. After that it was not much for nearly an hour. Then along comes a HUGE yellow end loader with giant bucket cruising up the field. The young man, farmer's daughter's boyfriend, was going to fill in a significant sink hole that was in the field. Not sure initially who it was driving and also he was on the phone for awhile motionless as I detected made me a bit concerned he was calling the girlfriend's parents to see if they knew a "weirdo" was hauling iron from the field.

Curiosity got the best of me and I flagged him down and went to speak with him. No problems with me at all. We exchanged greetings and had a nice little chat. I also pointed out a few pieces of iron and copper rod sticking up vertically just under the surface that may puncture a tire if not removed. They are LONG and I could not get them out. Anyhow after ending our chat my MOJO was thrown off and I decided to chill and drink some sun tea and go back at it. Continued grid searching awhile longer over mostly areas I have already covered without any good finds so I went back to random roaming.

I headed about 100 feet or so out into the cornfield from my parking spot and began hitting loads of iron on a downward slope off the high ground. Now here is where I feel in order to give you my honest perspective on the matter I have to get "spiritual". You can go look at the pictures if this kind of thing annoys you or check someone else's finds out. Having been interrupted or distracted by the big yellow end loader and all took me off my initial game plan. I ended up way beyond where I ever planned on hunting and hit an iron infested sight I have not really hunted very much. I dig up some older iron agriculture harness attachments stuff and think maybe I am onto a spot of older activity.

I get a solid 31 signal repeatable and with no breakup like the can slaw sometimes gives. This is usually a Nickel everyday on my Makro Racer 2. Let me backtrack just a bit. Before I ever turned on my machine today I hit my knees and said a prayer. Not that I would find great stuff but, a bit more personal and humble. Just asking my "creator" to help me be a better person kind of thing. Lord knows I need help in that area. Back to the signal. Many of you may know from reading my posts I am hot after a few Bucket List coins. Namely the Seated Half Dime & Shield Nickel. Well when I got this solid 31 signal I was prompted to "call" Shield Nickel! So I called SHIELD NICKEL, about that LOUD too BTW. It was pretty shallow and a small target so I used my Predator-Lesche hand digger to pop the target out. Located it in the ultrafine lack of rain dust and see a round disk the size of a nickel. Lift it up to my aging eyes and see the sweet #5 encircled by STARS! Yes, after nine long years I have finally caught that wascally wabbit! Snapped his neck and stuck him in my pants pocket so not to loose him again. BTW, It appears I may have given my 1867 Shield Nickel a Predator hand shovel kiss but, it's just a flesh wound and I didn't drop it into the sink hole so it's ALL GOOD!

Oh did I let out some yells, hoots, hollers, and then some dancing in the dust began. I didn't forget to give thanks to the one who leads my steps when I let him or even changes "MY" best laid plans with big yellow end loaders. So if you have followed this way too long description of this hunt and my feeling about it then thanks for your patience. Certainly many or even most think this is Hocus Pocus Mumbo Jumbo. That's fine with me. I know when I have practiced certain principals things work out better for me. I just need a little help to remember my life is not about me but, what I can do for others in my sphere of influence. I am sure most folks attention span probably left off after the first paragraph! On to the PICTURES!!! Kurios1

Shield Nickel Sunday 013.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 003.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 004.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 012.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 015.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 016.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 002.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 005.JPG

Attachments

• Shield Nickel Sunday 006.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 007.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 009.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 014.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 014.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 018.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 018.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 140
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 020.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 020.JPG
    640.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 023.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 023.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 025.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 025.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 024.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 024.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 026.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 026.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 019.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 019.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 66

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding your bucket-lister and for recognizing that *some*one that *KNOWS* where everything is, was leading the way. :icon_thumright:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAWWWWEET!! One of my top 20 favorites. Go dig another friend.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on finding a bucket lister. I have but (1) lonely shield nickel myself. Yours is way better looking than mine.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful 1867 shield nickel! Congratulations, that's a tough one to dig and yours is a beauty! Love that full date.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Way to go Kurious!
Tons of interesting finds.
I especially like the completely mangled but intact fork!
Way to call your shield nickle before you popped it out too!
COINgrats!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy for ya, big guy. Keep crossing those buckets listers off!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done my friend and congrats on the awesome shield. Perseverance finally pays off and very nicely at that. Just don't get too carried away with the victory dances, would hate to throw the ole back out LOL. Nah, dance a jig or two then do it again just because. There is nothing quite like looking down and realizing that something that you have been chasing so hard for is actually in your hands and it is yours! Very happy for you, now, what is next on that list? DL

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your shield nickel. Great to get one off the list!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Way to go Kurious!
Tons of interesting finds.
I especially like the completely mangled but intact fork!
Way to call your shield nickle before you popped it out too!
COINgrats!

I have gotten much experience "calling" Pull Tabs! I can tell if they're complete, the Beaver Tail, or the Ring! Woo Hoo! I just knew it was my day mate.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done my friend and congrats on the awesome shield. Perseverance finally pays off and very nicely at that. Just don't get too carried away with the victory dances, would hate to throw the ole back out LOL. Nah, dance a jig or two then do it again just because. There is nothing quite like looking down and realizing that something that you have been chasing so hard for is actually in your hands and it is yours! Very happy for you, now, what is next on that list? DL

Thanks DL. I love this spot as I can celebrate with "near" reckless abandon and shout and holler when I get me something way cool. I am expecting a Seated Half Dime to be within the immediate vicinity. I have one in a jar somewhere. I need to find it so I can experiment with it to see what VDI numbers it rings in at. That's my next realistic Bucket List coin I'd like to notch off. Flying Eagle Cent could surprise me though and I wouldn't complain one bit.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding your bucket-lister and for recognizing that *some*one that *KNOWS* where everything is, was leading the way. :icon_thumright:

True story. I once was having a hard time finding anything at a spot I knew had to have some old coins. I quoted Proverbs 3:5-6. No sooner than I spoke the last words I looked down and right on the surface was a lovely Merc dime. I don't abuse the privilege to gain booty for my treasure chest nor do I believe it's "magic". Father just knows when I need a boost and I ain't afraid to ask for some help sometimes.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee who would of thought there would a chance of something good on the fringes of the site. :)
Congrats on the SN it's in fine shape! Hopefully that silver is out there also. Nothing like striking one off the bucket list, you deserve doing a few :blob7::hello2: out in the middle of the corn field.
The brass thingy is probably off a piece of furniture, I dug a similar one last year out of a old homestead, was one of the only things too.

But I'll admit when I got to the big yellow loader part I thought it was going to be a phrase like this: He drove out into the filed and pulled out the grounding rod and scraped the surface of the site off for me revealing the real old finds below the iron.....Oh well I got hooked.

Hey Buddy! You have been a great inspiration and help doing this field hunting thing. In time I might see if we can get a "little" assistance on stirring things up a bit. Right now I have ALL I can handle just clearing the surface finds many of which are pretty cool. Thanks for your support my friend.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your words and photos tell a great story of faith, hope, and adventure. Congratulations an the variety of finds in such a vast area. It looks overwhelming and/or full of vast opportunity seeing the photo of the field. The selfie looks joyous and proud and full of gratitude. It must be nice to have a site to keep going back to after work and so close. Here is a bit of 1867.
https://worldhistoryproject.org/1867

I hardly ever take "selfies". I did want to record this find with at least a picture of my goofy mug as I have not been this ecstatic over a treasure hunting find in my life. It is a large area to cover and I have not even begun to research any of the farmer's other property. The property owner's father is 92 years old and still combines some beans from time to time. I will be seeking a get together with him to see what he knows about his son's acreage. I know of at least one house that's been tilled into field. Could keep me busy for a long time.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great post and congrats on finding your shield nickel. Hope you continue having success in the fields. It's a great feeling pulling keepers out of those big fields. Good luck my friend

Your inspiration and support help a lot of folks here on T-net myself included. Thanks for all you do Art!:icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big-time Congrats to you Kurios.
Your results are proving that your method is working.
Congrats on the shield and thanks for sharing your hunt and insight.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im doing my happy dance for you in the living room. One day ill find that gold spanish cross with emeralds studded all over it and it will be connected to an eleven foot gold chain. We all have different things on our bucket list. Great work and congrats.

Thanks BB. I hope you get the old Spanish Gold and enough of it to make Mr. T jealous!>:(:whip2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions