No banners, but some coins, relics, and a what-is-it

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was mild around here last week, yet only the top few inches of the turf have thawed. Therefore, I went to a pine woods where I knew I would be able to dig. I also chose the spot because there was a farm there on an 1870’s map. I dug a couple hours there yesterday and the day before. While I did not find any really old coins, I found a Mercury dime, a Jefferson nickel, and a Wheat penny, all dated 1940. I also found some relics, including a couple skeleton keys, or more accurately lever lock keys, I believe. I dug a small heart shaped locket about 6 inches down, which looks like it had something mounted to its face at one time. I dug a broken pin stamped “sterling” on the back, with what appear to be fake diamonds. I recovered a small flat button with no visible markings, and a small button or pant snap with the word “Sprague” across its front. I dug a couple buckles, including one with a fully intact prong with no heavy rust, a first for me. The spoon is interesting and is stamped “1847 Rogers Bros.” I believe this is the company’s Portland pattern, which it first produced in 1891. Lastly, I dug a What-is-it that you will see in the bottom left corner of my main photo. It looks like it would screw into a light socket, which does not make sense to me. If anyone has any ideas on the What-is-it or the age of the locket and bigger buckle, I would be grateful. Thanks for looking. Happy hunting. Spring is only a month away!

Attachments

• Mix of Digs 2 9 19.jpg
    Mix of Digs 2 9 19.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Buckle 2 9 19.jpg
    Buckle 2 9 19.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Spoon Handle 2 9 19.jpg
    Spoon Handle 2 9 19.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 20

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if the bottom part is rubber, it is an expanding plug. when you turn the tee handle, it mashes the rubber part and tightens. some big trucks have a plug like this on the oil fill tube.

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds, congrats!!! And a nice pair of skeleton keys too!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. The item in the bottom left corner reminds me a bit of the plug on an old thermos.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if the bottom part is rubber, it is an expanding plug. when you turn the tee handle, it mashes the rubber part and tightens. some big trucks have a plug like this on the oil fill tube.
Thanks! That sounds like a good I.D. on my "What is it." There is no rubber on the piece, though I imagine it would have long rotted off. However, there is something like a nail head coming out of the bottom that might have held on a rubber gasket at one time. Perhaps this is some sort of plug from farm equipment or a truck. By the way, love the quote at the bottom of your post.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice variety of finds. The item in the bottom left corner reminds me a bit of the plug on an old thermos.

Reminds me of the stopper on an old hot water 'bottle'.
Don.....

Mmmm ... you may be on to something. Here is a picture of an old hot water bottle stopper ...

il_340x270.1706848189_9xg0.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt I hit the woods in winter also last couple weeks crazy winter temps here. I love those skeleton keys Ive been looking for many yesrs for onr to put in my display case. That is some great very old finds Well done Thanks for sharing them. Tommy

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Firemanphob has it. It is an expanding type plug used for many things. Used today for boats.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool relics, congrats! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest: