No Boxes?

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been coin roll hunting on & off since Ive been 12 years old. I was into it around 5 1/2 years ago for awhile and took a break. Around a month ago I returned to the hobby and learned most of the banks around town (population 7000) claim they do not have boxes of coins on hand. (penny, dime, & nickel) I found this kind of odd.....since there are many business who I'm sure need to get coin from them. I also opened an account with TD Bank, since they now charge to use the Penny Arcade if your not an account holder. The Penny Arcade had been free 5 years ago. Today, I dropped in a TD branch and asked for 2 boxes of pennies, which the teller claimed she didn't have. I can give you 1 she says....ok I'll take it, could you order some boxes for me? Yes how many will you like? 4 , I say. They'll be in Tuesday. So she goes in the back to get my box, and is back there way too long. Next she comes out, and says I can let you have this box, but can not order you any boxes or give you any in the future as each box costs us money to get. You would need to have a business account to be able to order boxes. So, I'm wondering what has happened in the last 5 years around my area? Has it been hammered with coin roll hunters and the banks black ball us by claiming they have none on hand? Or maybe times are that bad, upper management don't want to tie up revenue in stocking coin. I have a problem believing TD bank has got to pay for each box. What gives?

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably hammered by CRH and so they have gone to charging fees for box orders or making you have a biz account-I know the larger Chain banks do get charged per box- its happening around me with a few different banks- too many people have joined the hobby(this includes myself) in the last couple years-
You either have to find banks or credit unions that'll order you some with out the fees, pay the fees if you can't find banks with no fees, stick to only CWR or give up crh all together
-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Last edited:

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location location location. I say it all the time. Sorry to hear they seem to be cutting you off. However to make you feel better td bank will not order boxes of anything for anyone anywhere. EVER! My self and others have tried so hard and they stopped a while ago.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They do have to pay for each box, their delivery service is not free. In the past they ate the cost. Nowadays, everyone's asking for coin, so they have to order more volume, higher costs when banks are tightening their belts (and sitting on mountains of cash).

OP
OP
T

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD bank said in order to order boxes....you need a business account. I'm sure they would keep track of what you order, and down the road a few months they'd start grumbling again. Back 5 years ago, I'd see an occasional post here about someone getting a hard time from a teller, wanting to charge fee's, and I also had 1 or 2 bust my backside about ordering boxes, but 90% didn't hesitate to go in the vault and get whatever you asked for. Very few even asked "do you have an account here"? Back 5 years ago, there was a lot of discussion here that the banks paid a set price to the couriers , and didn't have to pay per box. I'm not sure if that's true or not. So , my question to all you guys is which banks seem to not have problems with us getting boxes , and which do have problems?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So, I'm wondering what has happened in the last 5 years around my area? Has it been hammered with coin roll hunters and the banks black ball us by claiming they have none on hand?

Yes. Also, if you haven'
t CRH'ed in 5 years, you are likely in for a shock when you see what kind of returns you'll be getting, silver-wise.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOA will order boxes without hassle, however BOA is a great dump bank, because they take bags of halves without a problem either. Not sure if you want to dump where your going to search. If there are wells fargos in your area they order too without a problem.Honestly any of the bigger banks seem to order with out problem except TD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread