No clue on soil samples?

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a claim with a creek running through it (20 hectares). Am I suppose to use creek dirt to get samples analysed, or am I supposed to dig holes. If so, how far down? As you can tell, I'm about as clueless as they get, when it comes to getting soil samples.
How big a sample?
Should it be classified?
Do I ask for it to be tested for everything known to man? (they can keep the kryptonite...lol)
Is there a "miners special"? (approx cost?)
I just want to know, what you members would want to know, if you were having your soil sampled.
Really need the help.
Wishbone

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. wishbone, I would start with the basics. Panning is what came to mind. Panning can tell you what your soil has in it. Shallow or deep digging is up to you. Generally, panning to the heavies or concentrates will have your signature minerals, this is what we call black sand.
Many semi precious gems and metals reside here because they weigh more than the blonds or tan sands and silicates which have value only with cement or making glass.

Other samples are core samples. This subject can get really complex and involed... type in core samples in youtube and check out some videos on it.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tip on youtube and core samples golden sluice, thank you. But (for me), not so good on the panning. Let's say I get some greyish/silvery micro dots in the bottom of my pan. Is it lead, platinum, silver, mercury, mica or something else? I can't even pick, it up, let alone know what it is. I was going to say it's because I'm so new to mining, but even seasoned miners get samples done on their properties. I wish I could look into the bottom of my pan and know exactly what minerals and what concentrations (%) I have, but I'm not that knowledgeable, YET.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Good news Golden Sluice, I ran into an old trusted friend today (thought he had moved), he's been mining for 20 yrs. I was whining that I have just learned to read a map, how am I suppose to read a pan! He said you are right, you don't really need samples, your materials will tell the story.
He's coming up to the claim in the spring, and he's going to teach me to pan and what to look for.
How cool is that!
Holy Crap is TreasureNet a good site or what? I asked what's in my dirt, and they sent me a real live person.(twilight zone music)...lol.
Thanks for all your help.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scroll down a little further to the prospecting section. You can learn a LOT from reading there.
It'll give you something to do while waiting for the snow to melt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions