apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of us who search nickels often find the "dreaded" dateless buff. As we open a roll, and pour them out on our table, we often find we have the reverse side staring at us. We see the mint mark and hope when we turn the side over to view the obverse, we see a clear date, but often disapointment sets in. Dang the luck. :laughing9:

That being said, is there any use for these coins except to throw them back into the dump pile? I am thinking about purchasing nic-a-date and creating a folder with said nickels. I know once acid hits those coins, they are worthless (except for the 5 cents), but does anyone else go this route?

I cannot get myself to throw the dateless back. Don't know why. Just can't.

Okay--I am getting too deep into this hobby.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep 'em and I'd never throw 'em in the dump pile. I love the buffs, and don't mind the dateless ones. I've thought about getting some nic-a-date as well, and I've read somewhere here that nic-a-date doesn't leave such an obvious mark if you put it on for a few seconds, rinse, repeat until satisfied.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that the nic-date and a folder is a great idea, I wish i hadn't spent my dateless buffalos!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I have only found 2 buffalo's and both were dateless. No way I would ever throw them back!! Sure they are worth 5 cents, but I consider them amazing finds!!

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have started to try to put a set of acid dates together. It was kick started by 3 rolls of dateless buffalo's I got a couple of years ago.

Also, a local dealer pays me 8 cents each for them. apparently they get used in jewelry.

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nic-A-Date helped me find a 1913-S Type 2 that sold on EBay for $40. I've found lots of early rare Buffs this way, including 3 1914-D's 2 1921-S.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridgewalker,
Interesting site. I had posted a while back a topic concerning hobo nickels. Never thought there would be a class for those!

Very unique,

thank you, and HSH,

apush :read2:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Apush,
Save them. Some are used for jewelry and you can always try a little nic-a-date and fill a book.
Just a though
trileyboy

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I've actually talked to several people who have sold (after clearly informing the buyer that these were acid dated coins) nic-a-dated buffaloes and some of them have sold pretty well as album fillers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread