nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,
This is a location I found late last week while searching internet satellite images. I don't usually make a special trip based solely on satellite images as they are often quite different from what's on the ground. I've gotten deep into thickets only to find that an area that looked good in images was actually too overgrown or just an expanse of barren bedrock that was not gold-bearing at all. At this particular spot however, the manzanita appeared to grow in lines so I had to explore. It would be a 12 mile bike trip, a 2 mile hike, and a 200 yard crawl through manzanita in 111 degree heat.
I pedaled until the road ended, stashed my bike in some bushes, and commenced on foot. Not long after, a sudden crashing came from a gulch about 30 feet away from me. Usually these crashes turn out to be deer or the occasional wild cat, but upon examining the blackberry thicket, a black face with a golden snout was looking back at me; a bear. It was a cub, and I watched it until it went up a hill and out of sight. Awesome. Continuing on, I reached a wall of manzanita and got down to break branches; the dead ones only. Twenty minutes later, a big rounded boulder met me at the entrance of a large open area of old ground sluicings. The satellite images didn't fail me this time. I got to work.
The area was covered in hot rocks and ground balance numbers were in the low 80's; the hottest ground I've ever detected, but if there was gold to be found I would find it. A few hours later, I had come across two old shovels blades and an old horseshoe, but no gold. There was much more to detect, but the heat was intense and as I swallowed the last of my water I reluctantly decided to head out. I've developed a few skills traveling through manzanita with a detector; one is that I slither more than I crawl. You know, manzanita berries are edible.
As I walked back to my bike I spotted a chunk of blue shist and then another of metamorphosed andesite that had both been chipped to fashion sharp scraping tools. I guess prehistoric people found this area favorable too, just not for the same reason the old miners did... or perhaps myself for that matter. I left all artifacts in place for the next detectorist to enjoy.

Below: the bear's gulch, the rounded boulder, the ground sluicings, the old shovel blades and horseshoe, the stone tools

PIC_0312.JPG PIC_0320.JPG PIC_0323.JPG PIC_0326.JPG PIC_0329.JPG PIC_0332.JPG PIC_0114.JPG PIC_0309.JPG

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That ground is full of nasty iron oxides all right, looks like you and the GB Pro got worked. Way to push forward. If I need to swing through really thick manzanita or brush, I'll bring a brush hook in with me. It can make accessing tight targets or cutting a route out of that shitt a lot easier plus, it fits in the shot gun scabbard attached to my pack. Although having the" room broom" along is more fun.

Last edited:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Nuggeteer... well... it surely looks like you did your homework, but sometimes we all get skunked. It sounds like it was an interesting excursion into the wilds, and I enjoyed reading your write-up... especially about the edible berries... it was just a remark that I didn't expect to see.

Great photos and an altogether excellent presentation... thanks very much for sharing your experience with us... and good luck with your next outing. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggeteer,
I can appreciate everything in your post about your Adventure! I've never found Manzanita to be pleasant to play in or around let alone to crawl through it. The stuff down this way is so thick/dense I've never seen a way to crawl through it, makes me shiver just to think of trying to do it. More power to ya! Your bicycle riding saves you money as well as gives you some good exercise. Any thoughts on why the satellite views made the manzanita look like it was in rows?
Good photographs!.....................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be it relics, gem/mineral specimens or gold-it all works for me,some pays better yes-but o what a fun ride. Thanx for the pics-John

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That ground is full of nasty iron oxides all right, looks like you and the GB Pro got worked. Way to push forward. If I need to swing through really thick manzanita or brush, I'll bring a brush hook in with me. It can make accessing tight targets or cutting a route out of that shitt a lot easier plus, it fits in the shot gun scabbard attached to my pack. Although having the" room broom" along is more fun.

Hard Prospector, a brush hook would certainly be easier than pushing through. My ears are still sore from the branches slapping my headphones off.

Hello Nuggeteer... well... it surely looks like you did your homework, but sometimes we all get skunked. It sounds like it was an interesting excursion into the wilds, and I enjoyed reading your write-up... especially about the edible berries... it was just a remark that I didn't expect to see.

Great photos and an altogether excellent presentation... thanks very much for sharing your experience with us... and good luck with your next outing. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Thanks Jim, the manzanita berries are a bit dry but overall pretty good. Along with all the blackberries and black raspberries, I don't even need to pack a lunch when I go out detecting.

nuggeteer,
I can appreciate everything in your post about your Adventure! I've never found Manzanita to be pleasant to play in or around let alone to crawl through it. The stuff down this way is so thick/dense I've never seen a way to crawl through it, makes me shiver just to think of trying to do it. More power to ya! Your bicycle riding saves you money as well as gives you some good exercise. Any thoughts on why the satellite views made the manzanita look like it was in rows?
Good photographs!.....................63bkpkr

63bkpkr, the manzanita was growing atop the tailings lines where the sediment was deep enough for them to take root. In between the lines was exposed bedrock where the bushes weren't able to hold.

pannerman

Jul 11, 2013
Sacramento, Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you really work hard, those are some nice finds. Do you ever get lost in the brush? My buddy got lost in manzanita and had to get rescued by a helicopter.

OP
OP
nuggeteer

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you really work hard, those are some nice finds. Do you ever get lost in the brush? My buddy got lost in manzanita and had to get rescued by a helicopter.

Hi pannerman,
Wow, my mother got lost in the woods several years ago and was rescued via helicopter also. I've never been lost, but I occasionally underestimate the depth of the thickets and become dehydrated.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that sounds a great adventure, I enjoy reading this. take care

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread