No Holes Barred

Rodog

May 24, 2006
Macomb County, Michigan
Hi all. About a week ago the wife and I headed out to Port Huron, MI about 35 minutes from our house to enjoy a little MD'ing and catch some of that fresh Lake Huron air. The wife doesn't hunt but always brings along a good book. So we get off of I-94E and on to the 69E that heads into town via older neighborhoods and low and behold near the end of the street there are two lots empty from buildings being torn down and one guy metal detecting. I always find it exciting to meet up with other detectorists in Michigan as I hardly see very many on my short excursions. Anyways, we stop and I approach this gentleman, had to walk around him and approach from the front as not to startle him. He was wearing headphones of course. So I ask him if he's having any luck and he reluctantly says theirs allot of trash. As the conversation goes on I let him know that I have three of my detectors in the car and was heading to one of the parks and beaches. Realizing that I was also a TH'er and no threat to his occupation on the lots he reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a handfull of coins and trade tokens of which one was a standing or walking liberty quarter. I congratulated him and since it was late in the afternoon decided that we should be on our way. First to the park and low and behold another TH'er. Met a young man who has only been in the hobby for 2 months and says he has already found over $50.00 in clad. I was excited for him and tried to pass on some good advice that I had learned over the years.

On the way home near dark I decided to drive by the previous lots to find no one there. With just a little bit of light left I broke out the old Compass XP Pro Plus and proceeded to hunt going over the covered holes to see if any thing was left. After about 35 minutes I found 3 wheat pennies and a trade token. Not bad for hunting behind someone for a couple of minutes. I figured he probably had his discrimination turned up real high to cherry pick out all of the silver.

So now a week later, yesterday, the wife and I go up there again, this time with the intent of hitting those two lots. As soon as I got out of the car I was astonished. There had to be 100 or more holes left uncovered. Needless to say I was quite pissed. To make matters worse, The garbage that came out of most of the holes were left next to the holes. Determined to not let this ruin my day, I got the old Compass out and began to hunt picking up allot of the trash left by others while uttering obscenities to myself. The wife went for a little walk checking out the architecture of some of the older period homes. Upon her return I could barely hear her voice under the Grey Ghost headphones and took them off. She pointed out that the guy from last week was across the street in the other lot. We kinda made eye contact and I waved only to get no reply. He looked like i just pissed in his Wheaties. (pun intended.) Watching him for a few moments he seamed to be wondering and waving his detector all over the place trying to cover the whole lot. I guess he figured he was going to get it all. Before it was all over I had pulled out 5 more wheat pennies, 1 clad dime, two arcade tokens and a Canadian Elizabeth II dollar. My wife who was reading in the car for the rest of the time said that the other guy was the one not filling in his holes.

When I was new to this hobby in 1980 the first thing that I was taught was to fill in your holes, even if your in the middle of nowhere, and I have always adhered to it. The other guy not filling his holes had allot of experience I found through our short initial conversation. He had no excuse. So to all old and knew don't be to lazy to fill in your holes because it only takes one complaint or one accident to ruin it for the next outing for you or someone else. Also if you plan a hunt and find that someone has hunted before you, remember to persist' slowly walking forward overlapping your sweeps and swinging your coil no more than the inner diameter of your inner receive coil to get what the other guys missed. In addition slow your sweep speed down to no more than two times the diameter of your overall coil size per second. Believe me this will always pay off in the so called hunted out areas. Hope some of you found this helpful and interesting.

Rodog

Upvote 0

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I find it very interesting, Rodog. I will hunt any so called "hunted out" areas. I find most of the trash has been removed, not that you did. As for filling holes, I fill them all. The hunter who didn't gave us all a bad name. No wonder some people are so anti-detecting. This would effect alot of people, just from a simple glance at the lot.

I enjoyed your thought provoking post, Thanks!!!

DM

PS: I grew up in Macomb County, near Roseville.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Rodog!

I hope your luck improves a bit and the silver comes. I don't blame you for having those feelings. That guy is wrong to do that. Fill em all in even on vacant or abandoned lots for sure. You have it going on Rodog!! . Happy hunting and good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first metal detecting I did was with a Radio Shack detector back when I was about 8 years too many years ago. Even at that age, nobody told me I had to fill in my holes, I just had enough respect for other people's property to do it. I'm sure I wasn't as careful then as I am now, but I didn't leave any open holes anywhere and I never left my garbage there.

That guy ought to be ashamed of himself, but then again I'm sure he's not :(

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the good deed....i'm still learning to pic up my trash....hard to stop old habits, but at least i pick up at least 98% percent of my trash and fill in my holes. Also, congrats on the finds that he missed.

HH
-GC

(i'm only an hour away from there)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Rodog.....awesome advice... ;)

Nana ;)

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Rodog, Nice post.Definitely irritating to follow sloppy detectorists.Givin us a bad name and all.Port huron seems to have alot of MDers but I havent run into any bad ones there.Huge beach.Always good for a few finds even if its been hit.Id like to hunt the water there but the current is downright scary.Congrats on your finds...Joe

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI
damn gunny you didn't call that maggot down about his open holes?? next time fire on him for sure simper fi

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually wrote about those two spots you were talking about a month ago didnt get much of a chance to hunt them but i did see you and your and the other since i live a block over. That jug head your speaking of is the same guy detecting the sidewalks there tearing up around here. I ran him and his hunting partner off my yard for their foul language around my kids. I use to think no one metal detected around this area now i wish i still thought that. But im glad you came and cleaned that guys trash up so the rest of us dont get looked down on.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
That was very nice of you to pick up his trash and fill the holes in. I would have picked up a bottle cap and thrown it in front of his detector, make that a dozen bottle caps. Then I would have said I think you forgot something!

OP
OP
Rodog

Rodog

May 24, 2006
Macomb County, Michigan
knapper said:
damn gunny you didn't call that maggot down about his open holes?? next time fire on him for sure simper fi

I know, I started to have a bootcamp flashback on him. But can't do that no more these days. OOOORAH!!!

OP
OP
Rodog

Rodog

May 24, 2006
Macomb County, Michigan
bluehunter1973 said:
I actually wrote about those two spots you were talking about a month ago didnt get much of a chance to hunt them but i did see you and your and the other since i live a block over. That jug head your speaking of is the same guy detecting the sidewalks there tearing up around here. I ran him and his hunting partner off my yard for their foul language around my kids. I use to think no one metal detected around this area now i wish i still thought that. But im glad you came and cleaned that guys trash up so the rest of us dont get looked down on.

Hey Blue, PM me when they tear out those sidewalks. Just save me a strip in between the two lots. Thanks

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post.I have found holes not filled in and trash on the ground. That is the main reason for people not granting permission. >:( Most people would not mind but they think that you are gonna trash there grounds. I have also found pieces of cannonball that someone has dug but just left it on the ground. I was happy to clean those up. :)

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry gunny my street and one over already done. everybody and there brother is hunting them just jump in and fight for you a spot. Nobody seems to mind. Did you hunt the spot across the street from the vacant lots?

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
The "non-hole filling" MDers I've witnessed have been children, unfortunately, in every case. We must address that or our sites will slowly start going away.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Nice informative post.I totally agree with you about filling digs and not giving our hobby a bad name.To me it's just basic common sense which I believe some people are severely lacking.Slowing down that sweep speed and overlapping is always good advice , especialy when hunting previously searched sites. Best of luck to you and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread