crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back and hunted 7 hours today fighting the bitting flies, gnats and a few mosquito's as I stayed out of the shade. I don't know why I am not finding much silver or coins after 1900. I have found mostly pre-1900 coins. Where are the mercs and the silver and the newer Wheaties? ??? Found my first buckle, a 22 bullet, an old bottle stopper, a button, a case which I thought was a watch at first but don't know what it is. When I opened it the residue reassembled molten glass. ??? Also found a Wheaties that I thought was another Indian because it was green. When I washed it off I was disappointed. No date that I can read yet. Also found a kerosene lamp top, what appears to be a drafters compass, a large square nail and a 1965 quarter.

Picture451.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Picture466.jpg

Picture467.jpg

Picture465.jpg

Picture464.jpg

Picture463.jpg

Picture462.jpg

Picture458.jpg

Picture459.jpg

Picture460.jpg

Picture461.jpg

Picture457.jpg

Picture456.jpg

Picture455.jpg

Picture452.jpg

Picture453.jpg

Picture454.jpg

Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the case is whats left of a compact. Just my guess.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
7 hours today is hardcore. The mosquitoes today in the woods were very bad but drenching with deep woods off kept them at bay.

You have done well with IH's at this place. As for lack of 1900's coins.....I hunted a home build in the late 1800's. In 1920 it was bought by the city and used as an office. Then it was sold sometime in the 90's? Anyway we didn't find any merc's, rosies, or many wheat pennies. Just some IH's and a barber dime. Buildings used as "offices" don't usually have many coins.....Also could be the people living in the home didn't have those kids that like to loose their money in the yard. :wink: ;D

Bob

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mirage said:
7 hours today is hardcore. The mosquitoes today in the woods were very bad but drenching with deep woods off kept them at bay.

You have done well with IH's at this place. As for lack of 1900's coins.....I hunted a home build in the late 1800's. In 1920 it was bought by the city and used as an office. Then it was sold sometime in the 90's? Anyway we didn't find any merc's, rosies, or many wheat pennies. Just some IH's and a barber dime. Buildings used as "offices" don't usually have many coins.....Also could be the people living in the home didn't have those kids that like to loose their money in the yard. :wink: ;D

Bob

Thanks Bob.... I guess I am hardcore. The neighbors kept looking at me thinking I was going to drop from heat exhaustion. A little water and Gatorade, but no food all day. I guess I was having a good time. I can deal with the heat but not the critters. Those damn bitting flies were my biggest problem. I am going to attack it again Sunday. That stopper , I have no idea. I thought it was a bottle but it could be an ink well. I just thought it was a little odd to not be finding any newer coins. My father who is in his 70's grew up in the town and I know that families have always lived there. But that doesn't mean that there is going to be coins in the yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread