No Luck Guys On Other Half Of Spoon Mold!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Luck Guy's On Other Half Of Spoon Mold!

Yea went back today and tried but no luck on the mold. :'( But did make some finds. Wish I hadn't tried on the mold so hard wasted alot of time with that deal. But moved around again at the end of the day and came up with one of my best coppers ever.All my finds need better cleaning still but this one has good detail left. :thumbsup: Also found buckle,buttons,cuff links,and a thimble.Guess they all can't be such great days.I'll continue to try in the future mabe It will show but this place is so big for one person to cover it will take some time.Thing are scatterd all over this site it seems. Very large place but know of it looks to be 4 different homes on this site. And old grave sites three of them on three points by the water all with unmarked stones like ballast rocks for head stones. I'll add some pics. I took today of the vast area it's as far as you can see cleared in the pics.Also some pics. of the coins my dad had found I talked of in last post.And one that will show what this hard a$$ dirt will do to your hands man this stuff is like digging through a brick.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 980
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 971
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 971
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 972
  • 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 965
  • 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 957
  • 000_0008.jpg
    000_0008.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 959
  • 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 966
Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: No Luck Guy's On Other Half Of Spoon Mold!

Iron Patch said:
Send me some of that :icon_sunny: tomorrow! :thumbsup: (and a few of those coppers)
I hear ya! :laughing9: You know as well as anyone we wish it was that easy! :laughing7: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
Send me some of that :icon_sunny: tomorrow! :thumbsup: (and a few of those coppers)
I hear ya! :laughing9: You know as well as anyone we wish it was that easy! :laughing7: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I'm hoping it will be easy. Two of us will be back where that reale on the banner was found. There are several more fields to check, so like I say we hope it will be easy. Even if they don't work out I'll be happy to look around a bit more on the site we were. I tell ya 3 explorers can smoke a good site for targets pretty fast. Usually a site that big I'm not trying to get the tough targets in the iron on the first day, but there I was.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't give up on that site. I have found around here in the Piedmont that when the ground freezes in January and then thaws on warm days it loosens the clay up and digging gets easier.

Even if it doesn't you have a great site there to work. Get a grubbing hoe and a teenager to swing it for you. The other half of that mold is there someplace.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

I'm hoping it will be easy. Two of us will be back where that reale on the banner was found. There are several more fields to check, so like I say we hope it will be easy. Even if they don't work out I'll be happy to look around a bit more on the site we were. I tell ya 3 explorers can smoke a good site for targets pretty fast. Usually a site that big I'm not trying to get the tough targets in the iron on the first day, but there I was.
Sure thing,I'm sure your explore in your hands will come out with something good!I've said it before your good! :notworthy: And I'll be waiting for your post Buddy! :wink: :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

Sure thing,I'm sure your explore in your hands will come out with something good!I've said it before your good! :notworthy: And I'll be waiting for your post Buddy! :wink: :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to it... and Kirk and I have a challenge who will do better, them three this weekend, or us two on Monday. So tonight I'll see what we have to beat.... I hope it's a lot!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Curious The George said:
Don't give up on that site. I have found around here in the Piedmont that when the ground freezes in January and then thaws on warm days it loosens the clay up and digging gets easier.

Even if it doesn't you have a great site there to work. Get a grubbing hoe and a teenager to swing it for you. The other half of that mold is there someplace.
Right on there George,But I don't think a Tomma Halk Cruise Missile or Bunker Buster would make this site easy! :laughing9: :laughing9: :hello: But yea I'm not quiting for sure I'm hard headed as they come. ;D Trust me! Maybe wait till grass dies some more and pest bugs die. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Curious The George said:

Right on there George,But I don't think a Tomma Halk Cruise Missile or Bunker Buster would make this site easy! :laughing9: :laughing9: :hello: But yea I'm not quiting for sure I'm hard headed as they come. ;D Trust me! Maybe wait till grass dies some more and pest bugs die. :thumbsup:

If you happen to be digging a hole and it's thick will shells, pottery etc., mark the spot. You can't discount the other half being deep in a trash dump, somewhere you'd never reach surface detecting. In a spot like that you should be digging all dumps and cellar holes anyway.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

I'm really looking forward to it... and Kirk and I have a challenge who will do better, them three this weekend, or us two on Monday. So tonight I'll see what we have to beat.... I hope it's a lot!
I gottcha,Youth over wisdom. Now theres a match! :laughing7: :o We'll see! :thumbsup: Hope you both the best. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just some Idea of the hardness.This is my Uncles place and few years ago I helped him put the post in for the horse pen and we used a tractor with a hole digger on the back hooked to the three point hitch and pto.Some places there it would lift the tractor up and the hole digger would just sit on top of the ground spining! :laughing9: It's hard! :wink:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
The 1781 Hibernia and 2 Skilling are nice! You're both into some real oldies! His other two coins are George I, and a 1760s Hibernia, but the holed one is interesting. Maybe a Jeton?

It reminds me of Don's Indian Peace Medallion :o

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Glad you went back timekiller. This is a wondeul site, particularly being on a river. When you consider how close to the flood plain it is, one can only imagine what is buried closer to the water under what has to be many inches of sediment. Not only is the varietry of coins interesting, but judging from their lack of wear, many of your coins were lost during the period they were minted. This site really deserves that you draw a sketch map or acquire an arial view, and mark precisely where you found (find) each relic (even seemingly insignificant ones!) . after all, your mold will no doubt eventual end up in a museum (on loan?) and this information will be invaluable some day (and will put another feather in the cap of all metal detectorists!)

Don't be discouraged about not finding "the other half". It may never even have been lost. Bronze did not get thrown away, not when the weight of a "penny" could buy a loaf of bread. Also remember, if museums worried about "the other half" musums would still be looking for "Venus de Milo's" arms! :D Jamestown, Plymouth, Williamsburg, etc., all display in their museums precious relics like this which are only fragments, despite those locations having been carefully excavated!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Glad you went back timekiller. This is a wondeul site, particularly being on a river. When you consider how close to the flood plain it is, one can only imagine what is buried closer to the water under what has to be many inches of sediment. Not only is the varietry of coins interesting, but judging from their lack of wear, many of your coins were lost during the period they were minted. This site really deserves that you draw a sketch map or acquire an arial view, and mark precisely where you found (find) each relic (even seemingly insignificant ones!) . after all, your mold will no doubt eventual end up in a museum (on loan?) and this information will be invaluable some day (and will put another feather in the cap of all metal detectorists!)

Don't be discouraged about not finding "the other half". It may never even have been lost. Bronze did not get thrown away, not when the weight of a "penny" could buy a loaf of bread. Also remember, if museums worried about "the other half" musums would still be looking for "Venus de Milo's" arms! :D Jamestown, Plymouth, Williamsburg, etc., all display in their museums precious relics like this which are only fragments, despite those locations having been carefully excavated!

GPS is definately the way to go on this one.

I won't worry either, but I wouldn't give up. ever!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
you guys deserve those awesome finds with
your hand looking the way it did !!
Thanks allen,but it's baby stuff ;D No pain no gain Buddy :laughing9: :laughing7: :hello:
Hope you guy's (family) are doing well!
guess the kids had fun last night Halloween?

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

johnnyi said:

Very well stated, Johnny!

Kirk

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just wanted to thank the guy's on here who share there knowledge on cleaning methods.Iron Patch,Buckleboy,(DonSj never speak much but you too) And others.I was looking back on some post of mine and have seen how in such a short time that your methods Though sometimes I tweak has helped save from my old ways.Thanks Guy's :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
Timekiller!

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 637
  • 000_0002_00.jpg
    000_0002_00.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 633
  • 000_0003_00.jpg
    000_0003_00.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 644
  • 101_0015.jpg
    101_0015.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 629

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

Don't worry, IP, you just have to dig a coin older than an 1860-1864 fatboy Indian Head to beat us. We hit a new site, but it was hunted hard many years ago, according to the landowner. Site 2 for the day (last week's copper spot) = two buttons and two spoon pieces. Site 3 for the day (KG II copper site from September) = three buttons and about five or six pewter spoon pieces. Overall, it was a terrible hunt for us. :icon_scratch: We'll be trying our luck at a 1778 vanished dwelling this coming Friday, depending on the weather once again. If my research is correct, we could potentially dig a pile of coppers. :headbang:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

Don't worry, IP, you just have to dig a coin older than an 1860-1864 fatboy Indian Head to beat us. We hit a new site, but it was hunted hard many years ago, according to the landowner. Site 2 for the day (last week's copper spot) = two buttons and two spoon pieces. Site 3 for the day (KG II copper site from September) = three buttons and about five or six pewter spoon pieces. Overall, it was a terrible hunt for us. :icon_scratch: We'll be trying our luck at a 1778 vanished dwelling this coming Friday, depending on the weather once again. If my research is correct, we could potentially dig a pile of coppers. :headbang:
Kyle buddy,we all have those days I'd still would like to see! :thumbsup: :hello:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

Trust me, I know how it goes, been many a day we tried field after field failing all the way. That being said, I won't accept failure tomorrow!

Iron bros - 1 PA bros - 0 :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread