Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just this week FMERG gave a lesson on * star notes. shipped a 3 silver jewelry Ebay package today and got the $1 in change. the Fiddy was from my CU half box dump on Monday. the bills are now waiting for a buyer, maybe I can turn that money into cash :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: IMG_2249.JPG IMG_2251.JPG still hoping to find some silver certificates.

Upvote 6

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds with the star notes :icon_thumleft:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the star mean?

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
equivalent to a mint error. a damaged note is removed from the sheet and the serial number must be used on replacement note and star denotes this. like errors, there is a rarity issue therefore--collectible item. thanks to the link from Scott9050 I learned the serial # is not re-used, but that star notes are printed ready for use to replace a damaged or misprinted note. anything over face is a win:-). the $50 is close to a Lay's potato chip, so I want another one!

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like our Government officials - They are all a bunch of "stars".

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I learn something everyday , I can not wait to know what I will learn tomorrow. Thank you "nice digs ". Finds HH gl

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have found them with my Fisher with my eyes closed!

Last edited:

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Radio shack special, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Treasure Master, Garret Carrot pro pointer. Whites V3i added 11/3/15Whites Surf Dual Field PI added 5/5/16 - 2/17 Etrac added 11/16 Whites Beach Hunter 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too funny! But sadly true....

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing particularly outstanding about them. Is there something other than the replacement designation that leads you to believe they'll have a price sufficient enough to sell over face value?

I'm a member of a couple of local coin clubs. At every meeting their is an auction where members can auction off stuff (extras, need money for some reason, whatever). At a couple of meetings over the years I have seen star notes up for auction. This tells me that at least some folks collect them. And if somebody collects something, it usually gives the item more value than it would otherwise have. With that said, I think the last time I saw them for auction, 5 $1 star notes were won for $6.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread