47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why Why why...

I keep reading about the success people are having accross the country with Brinks boxes. I am not. I have yet to pull a single silver coin out of a Brinks box. Granted I have only done about 15 Brinks boxes but as a comparison I have done over 200 Dunbar boxes and probably only had a 5% skunk rate. I think I will try oredering a box from different bank. Time to try BofA.

Even more frustrating was one of the Brinks boxes I got today...I was sealed and contained YELLOW FED ROLLS! open fed rolls to boot! I was so ticked I took them right back to bank that I ordered them from. I had never ordered from them before, and I explained to them why I was returning them and they agreed.

Upvote 0

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Piercesdad said:
Why Why why...

I keep reading about the success people are having accross the country with Brinks boxes. I am not. I have yet to pull a single silver coin out of a Brinks box. Granted I have only done about 15 Brinks boxes but as a comparison I have done over 200 Dunbar boxes and probably only had a 5% skunk rate. I think I will try oredering a box from different bank. Time to try BofA.

Even more frustrating was one of the Brinks boxes I got today...I was sealed and contained YELLOW FED ROLLS! open fed rolls to boot! I was so ticked I took them right back to bank that I ordered them from. I had never ordered from them before, and I explained to them why I was returning them and they agreed.

What is a yellow fed roll?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I here ya Pdiddy I got the same thing this week in my boxes but they were not opened. Hmmm :icon_scratch:

Golden Silver

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Think the delivery services get coins from the Fed when they need them, I really have NOT seen a Fed rolled roll of coins ever from Brinks or Loomis, as for Brinks they all come in Brinks rolls, you know they say Brinks on them- Brinks must be doing the pickups & storage & reshipping out; when they get too much or need more of one coin or the other they order or deliver excess too the Fed.

Yes I have seen Fed Rolls- in coin shops (they had Red wrappers on them).

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
So, the fed rolls are in wrappers like the ones you get when you order coins from the mint? They are wrapped by N.F. String & Son, Inc. ? With red lines on each end of the wrapper.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Fed rolls which people are referring to are in most cases, Strings and Sons yellow stripes on white. Brinks are Brown stripes on white and say Brinks on them.

I have gotten some Brinks boxes in the past that were sealed and contained rolls that were searched. It happens. Search and dump as if they were any other box.

Do not fuss over it and never return a box unless it was absolutely something wrong.

It would be a delicate issue and should be approached delicately. If you go back to the bank you order from complaining about the box you ordered you are really putting them in a position that you might not like the outcome.

Once you leave the bank with that box the burden is all yours.

Always open and check the contents in front of the teller before you leave.

Mojo

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
umm i have gotten 5 boxes, all yellow rolls, all produced some silver, most being 13 in a box, rest less then 10, no less then 3 though, wtf?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please folks, they are not "Fed" rolls. The String and sons wrappers are made by the company of the same name and bought by some of the coin suppliers. The only time you get a fed roll is when you order a roll from the mint. The mint does have the Strings company do some wrapping I believe. The Federal Reserve is not in the business of wrapping their own coin. Hope this helps.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It is my understanding that the Fed Delivers Big Bags of coin to a contracted source like Loomis in my area. Which uses the Strings and Sons wrappers.

Mojo

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
coinmojo said:
It is my understanding that the Fed Delivers Big Bags of coin to a contracted source like Loomis in my area. Which uses the Strings and Sons wrappers.

Mojo
That is correct. there is no such thing as a "fed" rolled roll. The fed ships coins out in a pallet size bag. An outside sub contractor then rolls the coins, many sub contractors use N.F. String and Sons wrappers. I have seen in my area that Brinks for example may not have Halves in there warehouse and get them from another carrier in the area, Loomis, Dunbar, Ect... That is what has probably happened. When most of us CRHers refer to "FED" rolls we are refering to anything that is not customer rolls(hand rolled) other words a "FED" roll = Machine rolled...

Jason

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I got a rerolled box this week as well. The box was just taped shut. It was a skunk, but at least every other coin wasn't edge marked with red paint like the other 5 boxes! It looks like fingernail polish or model paint. I guess I will be seeing these from here on out cause it ain't gonna wear off ant time soon. >:(

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:

Mojo
You nailed it mojo. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread