No one will believe this one!

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son has a golden retriever puppy that's about 4 months old. They both went out looking for rocks on Friday and is seems that Rex has decided (dog) that he's going to help. Mark (my son) says he watched him digging up rocks sniffed around a bit. Then started digging them up too. Appears he can smell them! He brought the best one home on Friday. Yesterday they were out and he did most of the digging. LOL

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So called "ore dogs" where used in the 60s and 70s in Scandinavia in the mining (Exploration) industry. Rather rare today.
Yes, they can track certain rocks and minerals from what I've heard. :)

Upvote 0

ROCK-STAR

Jun 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend had a dog that was obsessed with rocks, understanably lol. He would find the same rock you throw in the lake every time!. I know they can smell their own scent when you throw one in the woods and maybe see it underwater but he would even do it at nght. I have yet to figure it out! They must have another sense that we are unaware of, for sure. They have been known to sense cancer so Im not at all surprised.

Upvote 0

DigginDownUnder

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a mastiff that would chase anything you threw and bring it back, but he would always keep the first thing I threw for the day.

One day I was fishing with him, and when I cast he dove in the water and went after the bait, somehow he located it and got himself hooked.
I panicked and went straight into the (cold) water after him.
Luckily it was only hooked in his mouth and not his throat.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess you heard the one about the Coon Dog. Well in case you haven't, here it is! A man had a great Coon Dog that had a bad habit. It seems that everytime that the man threw out a piece of wood board (a plank), the Coon Dog would take off, be gone for usually several hours, only to return with a Coon whose' hide would perfectly fit the board that the man threw out. This continued and continued for many years and the man had accumulated some really nice Coon pelts. Well, one day while the man was gone, his wife threw out an old wood Ironing Board. The Coon Dog saw the Ironing Board, took off and never returned.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Latest is that Rex is now digging up rocks and putting them for my son to pick up. He seems to be starting to be able to tell the difference.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread