No permission to metal detect

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been shopping for groceries for over 30 yrs at same market. The owners know me personally. A week ago they took dow a 6000 sq ft bldg that was built in 1960. I asked permission and after a day Mr Wong said his insurance prohibited my metal detecting there. The place has no do "DO NOT TRESPASS" Signs. I will bet another guy will detect with out asking permission. Thats a juicy place to metal detect. Being honest stops me from detecting a lot of good places.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are paranoid. We have lawyers to thank for that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry Mr. Wong, your lack of trust in me after 30 years of being your loyal customer, prevents me from shopping here any longer. Mr. Wong you vewy, vewy, wong.

Some people are paranoid. We have lawyers to thank for that.
It's the system that's screwed. Though I do agree, lawyers are scum.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Wong has probably lived in fear of someone claiming they stepped on a grape, got whiplash, and suing him. This happens.

So, the thought of you digging around on property he is liable for is equally worry some. Then kids see you there so they figure they can play there. One gets hurt. Lawyers circle like vultures.

The agony of living in a litigious culture.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have learned a valuable lesson grasshopper: Just detect. Apologizing, and explaining to the owner you are a 30-year customer if confronted, is much easier than hearing "no" initially.:skullflag:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Doing the right thing is often the harder of the two choice. I commend you on your integrity sir.

I would have gone with: Hey Mr. Wong, I am going to hit that tear down after work today, don't tell anybody. Thanks buddy!

Best of luck to you sir.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe Wong wants to hit it him self.

But when you think being honest stops you from hitting good places, in reality it also keeps you from hitting bad places too like court rooms and jail. Trespass with a weapon or something that could be considered a weapon, gun, pocket knife gardeners sharpened trowel and it just went up to a higher charge.

Try what Diggumup says, heck invite him along with you. Just stay legal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pirates have more fun. :skullflag:

Why no phone books in China? Too many Wings, and Wongs. Everybody wing the wong numba.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
that is so wong.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we are talking about permissions but, for some reason i feel like this thread has taken a wong turn!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know we are talking about permissions but, for some reason i feel like this thread has taken a wong turn!

Wu may not be wong.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
yeah if you have been a customer there truly for 30 years and mr.wong has been the proprietor ask him if he truly did not appreciate your being a loyal customer ? and reassure him you will be vewy,vewy vewy careful metal detecting and you wont dig too deep and if he says no tell him how offended you are by his not trusting you and say he could turn a blind eye to a friend and help a friend out ? let us know K

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Me: "Mr. Wong, whay can't i metal detect there?"

Mr. Wong: "Ancient Chinese secret."

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know you have dug too deep?
When U.S. Customs agents set up shop outside the dig and charge tariffs on all the imported goods coming from the hole!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
just an observation. the asians are very shrewd business people. or maybe i should say strict ? do you ever see one driving a beater ? what kind of car does mr.wong drive ?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the torn down building different than his shop? If the shop is still open throw a couple grapes on the floor, do a dramatic slip and fall then tell him you won't sue if he lets you metal detect.
My rule- NO Trespassing sign and yellow caution tape = proceed detecting with caution. Big metal fence= no trespassing. Of course I think theres only one cop per 1000 people where I live and they are busy wtih the drug addicts and hate paperwork so I am equally afraid of the robbers as the cops. I did have this one cop get super aggravated and get me at gunpoint when I was doing a street tear out but his supervisor laughed it off. I did have to drop my detector and lie in the dirt to avoid being shot but it was worth it. The funny thing was it was all open and not fenced off and as the officer told me its no trespassing people were walking by behind him asking what was going on. He turned out to be a rookie just out of training and the commanding officer was cool. The rookie wanted to search my car and all kinds of stuff. I would have been more subtle if there was an indication I couldn't be there so I just worked it like I owned it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions