No Rioting...

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Here's a question - If you HAD to pick one - which would you take?

White's DFX or Minelab SE Pro or Garrett GTI 2500 Pro

These would be your only three choices, so if you favor another brand - oh well. I'm sure there will be some head bangin' on this one but let's keep the "soap-boxes" to a minimum. Honest opinions (experiences would be a plus) wanted, humor is accepted, snide remarks - don't waste your time.

Thanks... :happy3:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like no one else will speak up..I think I would go with the Minelab...I own a Garrett, and a Whites...and think I would like to give the Minelab a shot...At least when I get money in my savings account..

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, being that I have only used a Garrett Ace 250 and an Ace 150....hard for me to say. I would have to try them all out to make a more realistic decision for me. Hubby does have a Minelab Exp II, which he bought for me orginally, but it's so big and heavy, and I did not like the tones, I gave it back to him and he got me the 250, which I love!!!

So, to pick one, I would have to try them out first. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I own a few Whites so I think I would try a Minelab.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Having used the DFX and the SE I think I would have to say the Minelab.

I am not saying there is anything else wrong with the other machines but once you get used to using the Explorer you will be VERY happy with the machine.

I love my Explorer and will be upgrading to the SE Pro soon.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
minelab hands down! No turning back.... :thumbsup:

hunterinthesky

Aug 16, 2008
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 - DX-1 Pinpointer
Hey DD, Good question. In my first stint in MD way back in 1999 I purchased a GTI 2000, the first MD with graphic imaging. I really enjoyed that MD. I still have it. I own the DFX 300 now and haven't given it enough hunts to determine which is better.
I do notice at this time that the GTI 2000 has much better depth with the stock "scorcher" coil. The bell tone seems to have a really crisp tone when IDing a target. Although I did notice a few false targets while on my hunts.
I really do believe that I haven't given the DFX enough "learning curve time" But I am liking the professional workmanship of the DFX. Eventually I will prevail in getting deeper crisper hits with the DFX in due time.
Hope all is well and HH DD

OP
OP
DD-777

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
hunterinthesky said:
Hey DD, Good question. In my first stint in MD way back in 1999 I purchased a GTI 2000, the first MD with graphic imaging. I really enjoyed that MD. I still have it. I own the DFX 300 now and haven't given it enough hunts to determine which is better.
I do notice at this time that the GTI 2000 has much better depth with the stock "scorcher" coil. The bell tone seems to have a really crisp tone when IDing a target. Although I did notice a few false targets while on my hunts.
I really do believe that I haven't given the DFX enough "learning curve time" But I am liking the professional workmanship of the DFX. Eventually I will prevail in getting deeper crisper hits with the DFX in due time.
Hope all is well and HH DD

Thanks a lot Hunter - your input is much appreciated...

That's something I'm very curious about - the workmanship or "build quality" of these detectors. While i take very good care of my equipment, I'm definitely a little rough on it "in the field". Do the Minelabs and Garretts feel/have the same level of "sturdiness" to them that the White's seem to have?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
The Explorer is a little on the heavy side but the New Pro Coil makes it much easier to carry around.

Once you spend a few weeks with it you get used to its weight and set up and it doesn't bother you anymore.

It is simply designed. The menus on the Minelab Explorer are very easy to learn and quick to understand. Its the tones that get to people. If you just run the Explorer for a while and learn the tones you will be just fine. There is an emulator out there that you can play around with which will let you know EXACTLY how the Explorer works. I would suggest you download that and play around with it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd probably stick with my DFX.

I heard minelabs were good machines, but a little heavier than the dfx. I need lighter weight...getting older...artheritis...

I ran into a guy at a park with a minelab. He found a war nickle...I got skunked. It rained, I left....he had a cover for his machine...I didnt.

Al

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a GTI 2500 and I'm pretty happy with it, last year I found some dimes at 12 inches deep that were placed vertically. The depth and ID was dead-on. I should mention there was not trash in the ground so that made things much simpler.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a DFX and love it. The machine has done very well for me and it is very sturdy and I think it is easy to use. With that being said I would love to try the Minelab SE...I've heard good things about it but since both the DFX and SE cost over a grand I need to get my monies worth out of the DFX before I get another detector.

NJ

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eeeeneee, meaneee, mineeeee, mo. I think I'd go with the Minelab, they are
sort of hot looking detectors. Nothing scietific, never used one, I just like the
looks of them. The only thing that's kept me from hooking myself up is a
little cash flow problem. It's seems to be flowing away from me lately. :icon_pirat:

HH,
Ramapirate

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting