No silvers but some odd balls halves and a BIG penny.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said I'd stop CRH but I came right back...been silently doing half boxes....I am skunk patrolling.

I found these 4 oddballs from 8 boxes, do they worth more than $.50 each?

1. A hole puch chipped planchet half:
IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

2. A 100 degree rotated half(its a fake, failed sound test and seamed so prolly worth $0.00):
IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

3. A Silver looking Bicentennial with black rim(sound test says its a clad but is it silver?):
IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

3. A 1967 half dollar sized Britannia penny:
IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

Can some pro please tell me how to clean this bronze penny from personal experience? I intend to keep it in my silver dollar folder :notworthy:

Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rotated half is a magician's coin. You can squeeze one side of it and pop it open. If you notice on the back you can see a split around the inside of the rim.

The Britannia you can clean in some warm peroxide and a soft tooth brush. It's not worth anything, but it's a neat coin to have. I have a couple that I cleaned up just because I wanted to.
I actually soaked it in warm peroxide then made a warm peroxide and baking soda paste and worked the coin and it cleaned up nice.

Nice finds.

The half with the chunk taken out of it looks like someone took a drill to it.

The bicentennial is clad. If it ws silver it would have an S mint mark.

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeaninNH said:
The rotated half is a magician's coin. You can squeeze one side of it and pop it open. If you notice on the back you can see a split around the inside of the rim.

The Britannia you can clean in some warm peroxide and a soft tooth brush. It's not worth anything, but it's a neat coin to have. I have a couple that I cleaned up just because I wanted to.
I actually soaked it in warm peroxide then made a warm peroxide and baking soda paste and worked the coin and it cleaned up nice.

Nice finds.

The half with the chunk taken out of it looks like someone took a drill to it.

The bicentennial is clad. If it ws silver it would have an S mint mark.

SeaningNH, do you mean room temperature hydrogen peroxide to clean the bronze penny?

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I did was heat some peroxide in the microwave for 30 seconds then dropped in the coin. Once it stopped bubbling I took it out and scrubbed with a soft toothbrush. I did this a few times.

Then I made a paste out of baking soda and some of the peroxide and worked the coin with my fingers.

It will leave small scratches on the coin, but it's not valuble so I didn't care. It actually didn't hurt the coin that I can see.

This is after cleaning. It was as dirty as yours before I started working it.

Attachments

• Brit.jpg
    Brit.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 918

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ten to Fifteen second soak in Acetone (Hardware grade, not fingernail polish remover) and it should lighten right up for you.
Using any type of paste will leave lines on the coin.

Make sure to rinse in Acetone again and then re-rinse the coin in Distilled water.

I have a couple of them as well.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, the 1967 British Penny isn't worth anything, it is pretty much the most common year of pre-decimal pennies, and the last released for general circulation (there are pre-decimal coins dated 1970 for the farewell to the Pound/Shilling/Pence system proof set) There were 654,564,000 of the 1967 coins made. So feel free to experiment with cleaning it :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread