No Sound from headphones and or speaker for the Minelab X-Terra 705

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem or posted something similar or not. So here goes nothing. I was doing a night hunt at a local beach when about 2 hours into the hunt my headphones quit working. Okay no problem as there's no one around to hear my machine beeping, I unplugged the headphones and started using the onboard speaker. About another hour or two the speaker also quit working. I've been using this detector fairly regular since January of this year and I bought it in November of 2016. and I have never dropped this machine nor have I ever got the control box wet. I also hardly ever use the backlighting but this night the backlight stayed on most of the time. I Changed out the batteries with fresh batteries, unplugged the coil several times and I had the same result. Work for a little while and then nothing. Swinging my detector over the sand scoop or a coin would show the TID on the screen but no sound.

By dawn I had enough of this machine and decided to call it a day. I know I missed a lot of targets because of the the sound not working and using a MD just visually looking at the TID with no sound is a nightmare. I want to know if others here have had any problems with the sound quit working on the Minelab X-Terra series or any Minelab Metal Detectors period. Another MD'er I ran into at the beach who uses the Minelab Excalibur 2 says Minelab is notorious for the sound to quit working on their machines. I contacted Minelab thru twitter and they suggested that I send my machine to KellyCo to have them work on it. I'm not so sure about KellyCo as I heard a lot of bad experiences from other detectorist sending in their machines and waiting months to get their machines back, plus they tend to have a lot of bad customer service.

Other than that I hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem with any of Minelabs MDers, as I plan on trading or sell my xterra 705 Dual Pack to go towards an E-Trac or Safari. That's only if I can find enough gold and silver. So far not really much luck in finding gold, plenty of silver.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have the Xterra in an environmental cover every time it is at the beach, if not corrosion is highly likely the problem. Remember it isn't just the water you have to worry about, it is the salt in the air at the ocean, it gets inside on the mother board through the speaker holes.

OP
OP
W

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have one. I just got off the phone with someone from KellyCo who told me the same thing. Luckily it's still under warranty and all I need to do is send it in to them. I just don't know about the turnaround timeframe with others having problems in the past. The guy told me just send in the control unit and nothing else, add a note with a brief description of what might be the problem and also all of my info so that the unit can be sent back to me asap once they figured out what the problem is. I will have to go down that route just because it's still under warranty and if it wasn't then I would have sent it to Tony Eisenhower since he lives just up the road from me so that he can look at it. I'm going to be without my machine for up to a month and that's a bummer. I need to get a back up MD soon just in case if something like this ever happens again. My other MD is too old and not good to take to the beach, and besides I haven't seen anyone using a 1970's MD in over a couple of decades.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under warranty, a good thing. OK then, not much help here, but I own an X-Terra 70 and a Safari. Never had that problem, but most likely because I have seldom hunted salt water beaches, but I CAN understand the salt air/spray thing could have an effect over time, much like rock salt on a cars fenders and undercarriage. I do have covers for the 3 machines I use, and for me more so for mud, dirt and light rain, and yes, for the salt air etc. I've learned that a multi-freq. detector works best for salt beaches, although the X-Terra does have a "Beach" mode for salt, but I myself have never used it there, and you have, so you would know better on that one. Control box covers, you bet, for many reasons. Again the good news, "Still under warranty". If and when the problem is worked out, let us know when you can please, JUST in case for one of us who might run into the same problem. I do like the "Plenty of Silver" part. Good luck with it wygold.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't guess a factory reset would help ...................

OP
OP
W

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't guess a factory reset would help ...................
Oh I did that too, unplug coil, & changed batteries with fresh ones. I ended up sending out to KellyCo today. Hopefully it won't take forever in a day to get it back. In the mean time I ended up buying another Minelab Metal Detector. What I did was I took all of my change from the past six months plus a couple of bucks in loose change I had laying around and cashed them in. $225 in quarters, nickels, & dimes(not including the pennies), Not bad for 6 months worth of detecting.

I ordered the Minelab Go-Find 60 as a back up detector. With 2 day shipping and I ordered it yesterday around noon pacific time and got the email saying it won't be at my house until Sunday and now got another email saying it won't be until the 10th of July? WTH Amazon, says in stock with amazon not a third part and even paid for 2 day shipping. Although amazon has surprised me in the past when I ordered something with two day shipping and ended up getting to my house the next day. Idk maybe I should have spent the extra $12 for next day shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread