mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend & I went to an area where I collect some amazing druzy specimens today. These were lying all over the ground, but I had wanted to stop at a bluff that had small caves in it. Never been able to before because I was always alone & I don't like to climb unless someone is with me. We looked into some of them & found them covered in dogtooth calcite crystals in pretty much every little hole & crevice. The bigger ones, (only big enough to stick an arm or tool in) were soo beautiful. They were covered in crystal, the ceilings the sides & underneath dirt on the floors. We would brush the dirt away & see if any pieces were loose, which we gathered. The last cave was coated with the crystals so I reached in & started brushing the dirt when I saw an eye blink. I figured it was an owl cuz I didn't see a trail up to it, the leaves were not disturbed at all ,so I took a pic & left it. I figured I had bothered it enough. When I got home, & loaded pictures on 'puter, this is what my owl was. I was sooo lucky! Added a couple shots of the crystal caves so you could see the kind of fun I had today.
Click on the last pic to enlarge u can see it better

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cant tell is that a fox or coyote
good thing you left either way

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Mama, this reminds me of home. Sort of. Back when I was a member of the NSS, the National Speleological, Society. We caved mostly in Ky, Indiana, and Mo. Mo is one big cave. A person can just drive around and see what is called karst. That's where a cave ceiling has collapsed and that tells a terrestrial dweller where to go explore.
I can't tell from your pic just what it was you saw but I would bet if you can get past that critter you might be hooked on just what is below ground as you seem to be of what is above ground.
Many people think they would be afraid of small spaces only to find that instead, they are fascinated. If interested I'd advise to find a NSS grotto and go with experts. They know most of the good ones.
Usually if you give a critter or a human a way out of a problem they will take it. Always leave a way open. On the other hand, if you block a way out you might have a fight.
I would want to see if that cave "goes" Cave talk for an opening that just gets bigger. ....OK go back and feel if you can feel air blowing out of the opening... You can do it. I'm with you....from a distance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
If you click on the picture it will enlarge it. I think it is a fox, but could be coyote. The co. just north of mine has 100o know caves in it. Most on private property but there are a few you can explore. These were not deep as far as I could tell, but it sure was fun.

Upvote 0

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures and looks like a coyote to me with the amount of grey around the muzzle..Good thing he stayed where he was...

Correction......Without blowing the picture up too big so it's not blurry I have to agree with the others that it is a fox in there.....

Great finds....keep 'em coming....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
All I know is it wasn't an owl like I thought. There was no trail leading to it, not tell tale signs at all. That's why I figured what ever it was flew in there. I was so shocked when I downloaded pic onto 'puter!

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool, i guess they like the calcite too!thats the wrong kind of (dog tooth) though! those ones just might bite back!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
StoneW, when I was a little girl, my Pop took us to a fishing cabin, got in late, but when I awoke in the morn & looked out my window, there was a whole hill side of Druzy sparkling in the morn sun. That was the beginning of it for me. Any time Mom wanted to get me out from underfoot all she had to say was go out to the driveway & see if you can find any good rocks. Non stop ever since. only problem is, I seem to have tainted my friend with this fever. Poor thing. May she never recover. Oh & my daughters have it too. It's good if the whole family has rock fever, then you won't seem so crazy to them. Others perhaps, but not them.

Loco, I really don't know why those teeth did not bite!

EU I've always wanted to find where the druzy came from. Now I know.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Mamabear
Pretty sure that is a fox.
Can you get a photo of the other end. Should be a very bushy tail.
Unfortunitely both foxes and coyotes have similar hardness and streak.
Rule #1 in any cave is never put your hand where you can't see.
Also very supprised she didn't bolt. Might have a litter in there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
yes I think that is a kit to the left. Wish my camera was better so we could get a good look. I was being so stupid when I did that. I know better, but I was so enthralled by the huge amount of druzy, that I was being stupid. Oh well live & learn. Glad I didn't have to learn the hard way this time.
Stone, yes I would love to show you & your wife some of MO's natural beauty. It's been fun learning.

Upvote 0

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I think that is a kit to the left. Wish my camera was better so we could get a good look. I was being so stupid when I did that. I know better, but I was so enthralled by the huge amount of druzy, that I was being stupid. Oh well live & learn. Glad I didn't have to learn the hard way this time.
Stone, yes I would love to show you & your wife some of MO's natural beauty. It's been fun learning.

When I was in mo I went to a cave I forgot which on lol. It had a light show in it they also filmed a movie in it. Ohh man I forgot the name it has the world biggest stagnate? In it though.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...mamabear what a great picture of your furry "photo bomber" lol.....looks like a fox to me, we have them here but "silver ones" not the pretty red ones. Also really neat crystals in there! You be careful poking in those caves now...:)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread